ACN Latitudes Forums

Any ideas...

My son is in the thick of it now. Had a horrible eye tick - went away with steroids/augmentin. OCD continued...anger...rage... Another round of steroids/augmentin. Day 4 of steroids and finishing augmentin - eye tick shows itself again!

I think the infection has cleared but the inflamation is there. Have appt with Dr Latimer in end of January.

He is on zinc, fish oil, augmentin, prednisone, multi-vitamin, probiotic, evening primrose oil, goldenseal, wheatgrass shots, gaba. Any ideas? He seemed better today and then he lost it tonight and then I saw the tick. He has missed school all week.

Hold steady greenmommy-- Steroids can take a little while to "work" , and the second time may be different than the first. You are on day 4 of the steroids, how long is the prednisone treatment? As you know, it can take a week or two to see a change...and then, if the episode was severe it may take months to "fully" heal.

I think on the forum lately we have been emphasizing the "hopeful quick fix" when in truth, for many of our children it takes months to get them back to themselves after an episode--While many of us have seen excellent results with PANS treatments, the truth is that the entire healing can take time, alot of time...but it is the week to week TREND that I would watch for and try to record to keep track of the brain healing.

Final thought would only be -- did you mean to say you are "finishing" the Augmentin? Why is he not continuing for at least 30 days at this point? I guess I would keep him on it for 6 months or more, if not much longer if you think the PANS reaction is behind his tick/OCD/anger, etc. Benign trial to say the least when you are facing those types of issues--my best to you--

Final thought would only be -- did you mean to say you are "finishing" the Augmentin? Why is he not continuing for at least 30 days at this point? I guess I would keep him on it for 6 months or more, if not much longer if you think the PANS reaction is behind his tick/OCD/anger, etc. Benign trial to say the least when you are facing those types of issues--my best to you--

greenmommy -- you don't mention if this is first exacerbation or you have been dealing with this for a while. . . for my ds, when he got on the correct abx for him, he had 100% remission in about 3 days -- ~5-6 months after onset. he was on for 30 days. i thought he was cured. after about 30 days off abx, he backslide and thus began our real journey.

we now follow an integrative approach with homeopathy, but. . . i certainly recommend keeping on abx until you feel you have some sort of handle on what is happening and have consulted with an 'expert'. i'd suggest trying to keep that abx until that appt with dr. l. good luck!

Unfortunately, we have been dealing with this for almost 5 years. He gets strep...will get like he is now...then we do 5 days prednisone and then 14-21 days of antibiotics. Usually by day 3 on steroids he makes a huge recovery. Hoping to see that today. Saw the tick this morning already. So should I ask to change antibiotics?

We have gone to Dr Latimer for the last couple of years but having such a hard time getting appts - she is wonderful but we live in Atlanta. Scheduled with Dr Murphy for January but still waiting to get the call back - I could drive there.