ACN Latitudes Forums

Is it OCD?

Hi-

I've wondered for quite a while if I might have OCD, or if it is something related. I've researched on it, and done a few online tests, all pointing out that I am probable of having OCD. I know that online tests don't come near to qualifying as diagnostics or tests taken by doctors, but I was curious anyways. :)

So here are some of my "problems"..

-I have a thing with keeping "unnecessary" objects. I still have many of the clothes I wore as a little kid - clothes that I know don't fit me, and I don't have a use for, but I can't give them up anyways. I also keep all of the toys I had as a kid, and I can't let go of them. I also have a habit of keeping/collecting useless things I find.

-I sometimes have odd images of people I know or myself dying or getting into an accident, and I always take unnecessary measures to prevent these things from happening. They're usually unrealistic and I know they won't happen, but I feel guilty and can't stop thinking about it if I do nothing.

-I often have to check the stove to make sure it is off, as well as lights and I always make sure the blinds/curtains are completely shut before I go to sleep.

-I get extremely angry when people make repetitive motions or sounds, such as someone chewing with their mouth open, humming, popping knuckles, and snapping gum. I've been known to freak out if the person or people don't stop when I ask them to, and on occassion I'll start yelling. I don't know why it annoys me so much, but if someone starts, I can't get it out of my mind. (I'm not sure if this has anything to do with OCD.)

I do other things such as arranging CDs/DVDs in a certain order and counting randomly in my head. I often count the words in sentences, and the sentences in paragraphs.

I also am "afraid of the dark". It sounds silly, but I can't get to sleep unless I have some sort of light on, and I have to make sure that all doors are closed, and I have to walk around my bedroom several times to make sure nothing is there and everything is fine.

I also find myself getting attached to things like trees and plants. Not too long ago, I recall being in tears when my father had to cut several branches of one of our trees. Once again, I'm not sure if this is related to OCD.

So.. could this be OCD, or something entirely different? Or am I just being silly?

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi-

I've wondered for quite a while if I might have OCD, or if it is something related. I've researched on it, and done a few online tests, all pointing out that I am probable of having OCD. I know that online tests don't come near to qualifying as diagnostics or tests taken by doctors, but I was curious anyways. :)

So here are some of my "problems"..

-I have a thing with keeping "unnecessary" objects. I still have many of the clothes I wore as a little kid - clothes that I know don't fit me, and I don't have a use for, but I can't give them up anyways. I also keep all of the toys I had as a kid, and I can't let go of them. I also have a habit of keeping/collecting useless things I find.

-I sometimes have odd images of people I know or myself dying or getting into an accident, and I always take unnecessary measures to prevent these things from happening. They're usually unrealistic and I know they won't happen, but I feel guilty and can't stop thinking about it if I do nothing.

-I often have to check the stove to make sure it is off, as well as lights and I always make sure the blinds/curtains are completely shut before I go to sleep.

-I get extremely angry when people make repetitive motions or sounds, such as someone chewing with their mouth open, humming, popping knuckles, and snapping gum. I've been known to freak out if the person or people don't stop when I ask them to, and on occassion I'll start yelling. I don't know why it annoys me so much, but if someone starts, I can't get it out of my mind. (I'm not sure if this has anything to do with OCD.)

I do other things such as arranging CDs/DVDs in a certain order and counting randomly in my head. I often count the words in sentences, and the sentences in paragraphs.

I also am "afraid of the dark". It sounds silly, but I can't get to sleep unless I have some sort of light on, and I have to make sure that all doors are closed, and I have to walk around my bedroom several times to make sure nothing is there and everything is fine.

I also find myself getting attached to things like trees and plants. Not too long ago, I recall being in tears when my father had to cut several branches of one of our trees. Once again, I'm not sure if this is related to OCD.

So.. could this be OCD, or something entirely different? Or am I just being silly?

Thanks in advance!

I have been diagnosed with both OCD and OCPD and from my understanding of it, it sounds like you have a good case of OCD and perhaps OCPD my friend. The oven checking, lightchecking are red flags in my opinion. Worrying about death or accidents happing to you or people you know is also obvious. Nw i dont know about the getting angry with repetitive sounds but i went through something like that myself before i was diagnosed. Im sure you will here this alot but, OCD can also be used as a tool. I havent figured out how to use mine to help me but im constantly being told that. At least i have a realativly good control of it. Sorry for the bad news.