ACN Latitudes Forums

Ugh...in a fix!

peglem

We are supposed to give the clindamycin every 6 hours. Does that mean wake her in the middle of the night? And how do I get the probiotics into her w/ school? I guess I can use boulardii and give at the same time as the abx.

School is tough just for the disruption. Our son minded having to go to the nurses office every day because he had to explain to friends why. Well, he didn't really explain why but came up with something. In our district the school just needs a signed order from the doctor to hand out medication. We've never asked about non-prescription. I'm sure that if they needed a 'note from the doctor' ours would gladly do it.

We've worked our way to a point where he no longer needs medicine during the day, just morning and night. We try to make sure he takes probiotics as soon as he gets home and then last thing before he goes to bed. In the morning, he gets his probiotics with his morning ABX. Nighttime ABX are right after dinner. Best we've been able to manage.

Glad she is doing better.

bill

[

Duh! Why didn't I think of that? I talked to her "person in charge" from school today, who said the same thing! You guys are geniuses!

We see the nurse practitioner tomorrow morning. I think this is more than just strep throat. I don't think I've ever seen this child so ill or in so much pain. Vicoden and NSAIDS all day, she either slept or held her head and moaned all day. When awake, she doesn't open her eyes- just a slit to barely see something. Was able to get some food into her so the meds wouldn't hurt her tummy.

peg -- i know you have been trying a lot of new things lately, right? not at all to suggest any certain infections for your dd -- just wanted to say my personal experience -- i've mentioned before my experience with migraines with aura. last year, while being treated for bartonella (with bart rash developed), i experienced some of the worst migraines of my life. the worst -- i think i slept for 3 days and was considering if i should go to the ER -- strangely after we had been trainspotting -- still wonder if it was the quick flashs of trains or the electrical fields that could have had something to do with triggering. a year later, knock on wood -- no migraine for about 6 mths. our integrative dr believes my migraine history is tied to infection and that increase is tied to treatment.

i know you have to deal with all the immediate you are experiencing -- possilby could this be also some clearing of something for her? i do believe it was for me.

good luck!!

and i agree -- tpotter is a genius!!

[

Duh! Why didn't I think of that? I talked to her "person in charge" from school today, who said the same thing! You guys are geniuses!

We see the nurse practitioner tomorrow morning. I think this is more than just strep throat. I don't think I've ever seen this child so ill or in so much pain. Vicoden and NSAIDS all day, she either slept or held her head and moaned all day. When awake, she doesn't open her eyes- just a slit to barely see something. Was able to get some food into her so the meds wouldn't hurt her tummy.

peg -- i know you have been trying a lot of new things lately, right? not at all to suggest any certain infections for your dd -- just wanted to say my personal experience -- i've mentioned before my experience with migraines with aura. last year, while being treated for bartonella (with bart rash developed), i experienced some of the worst migraines of my life. the worst -- i think i slept for 3 days and was considering if i should go to the ER -- strangely after we had been trainspotting -- still wonder if it was the quick flashs of trains or the electrical fields that could have had something to do with triggering. a year later, knock on wood -- no migraine for about 6 mths. our integrative dr believes my migraine history is tied to infection and that increase is tied to treatment.

i know you have to deal with all the immediate you are experiencing -- possilby could this be also some clearing of something for her? i do believe it was for me.

good luck!!

and i agree -- tpotter is a genius!!

I have been thinking the migraines are infection related. I think this has been brewing for a long time and just finally came to a head. Probably the zith she was on kept it at bay- but ultimately the infection won out. I hope this is a turning point for her.

As far as dosing for school. I have a unique situation in that she is in a small, self contained, private SPED school. There is no nurse and their policy is to give only prescribed meds that have to be given at the same time every day. However, the 2 people that work with Allie the most (almost exclusively) are her 1 on 1 assistant and the speech/behavior therapist. They have given ibuprofen after calling me directly and I've given them a dose of imitrex for the just in case- but this is w/o the office knowing about it. Her 1-1 was coming to our home for a week in the mornings to help w/ getting Allie on the bus and we had to do an imitrex dose on one of those mornings. When she saw how it helped and how Allie knew she needed it- the therapist asked on the phone if we could give some to the 1-1. So, I think I could get some help here "off the books" from them. I hate to have to do it that way, but these people really know my child and we communicate at least once a day about what is going on with Allie.

Allie does not consistently eat anything at school. I send a large lunch w/ many things that she likes, but there is no telling what she'll decide to eat from one day to the next. If I lace something with probio or any other med, she will detect it and will never eat that food again. I think we can probably work something out w/ her school workers.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, last day of Clindamycin. Healthwise, Allie is much better. Hasn't had a migraine in over a week. But, PANDAS symptoms way up- the old "fascinated and stuck" on things that gives her a great deal of anxiety. We see her pediatrician tomorrow. I'll try to get her some prednisone.