ACN Latitudes Forums

Obsessive Compulsive or just Anal-Retentive?

Hello. I'm trying to figure out if I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder or if I am only Anal-Retentive. First of all, if I touch something with one hand, I have to do it with the other or else I dont feel right. If I hit that same hand again I have to touch my other hand with the same thing. It has to be the exact same place and the exact same pressure. It's really hard to describe. My couch at home is the type of material that is smooth one way and it is rough the other. If the remote is by my hand and I use it to turn the TV volume up, I have to put it down in the same spot and I also have to make sure that underneath the remote the fabric on the chair is smooth.

Next, If I go to get ice out of the refridgerator, I have to always get four peices. I cant have six of three, It always has to be four. Also, my backpack for school is always organized by which ever class I have first then second then third....and so on. If I ask my friends to put something in my backpack and they dont put it in the right way or order I get freaked out. Also, If they dont put the zipper on the left side of my backpack when zipping it closed I have to hurry and put it in its proper place. It also takes me forever to fall asleep, because I have to make sure my pajama pant legs are not wrinkled up and I have to make sure my sheets are not wrinkled as well.

Whenever I fix my plate for supper, I have to put everything in its own little section. None of my food can be touching the other food. It takes me forever to eat as well. If the cabinets in my kitchen are opened and just left opened I have to close them. I also bring hand sanitizer wipes to school because I hate the way my hands feel sometimes, It drives me insane!! Im always scared that peoples skin cells will fly on me and I cant do anything about that. Thats why I hate it when people scratch their skin around me. Now this is only some of the things I feel. If anyone could shed some light on if I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder or if I am just Anal-Retentive, that would be greatly appriciated. Thanks very much. :)

Hi there, OCD in my opinion. But don't be upset - knowing what it is is just the first step in helping to release yourself from the compulsions. Looking around here and over on the Tourettes board (many Tourettes people have OCD as well so there is lots of information over there) will definitely help you.

Good luck,

Giselle

• 1 year later...

Anal rententive is probably just a Freudian term for what is now called OCD. I like the sound of OCD better but still don't like labeling people. Even the stress of normal life can bring about odd behavior. Undue stress, diet, allergies... lots of things can affect our behavior including bad experiences and fear of the unknown.

If what you are experiencing is affecting your life in a bad way, I would suggest seeking out natural remedies and counseling before using prescription drugs. Sometimes the side effects of those are worse than the problems that you begin with.

• 2 months later...
Anal rententive is probably just a Freudian term for what is now called OCD. I like the sound of OCD better but still don't like labeling people. Even the stress of normal life can bring about odd behavior. Undue stress, diet, allergies... lots of things can affect our behavior including bad experiences and fear of the unknown.

If what you are experiencing is affecting your life in a bad way, I would suggest seeking out natural remedies and counseling before using prescription drugs. Sometimes the side effects of those are worse than the problems that you begin with.

Naaahh she's anal retentive and OCD....so am I. I just call myself anal. I go to work I have to be in a pressed uniform and I have to wear a tie. shes have to be shined and everything as clean as ever. Or else it drives me nuts because some sites don't require it. My Hatch bag has to be completely organized I have to have two sets of batteries for every thing that needs them. I need two spare evidence pads. I have two mag lites in my bag and don't get me started on pens. Two of each style.

It is annoying but doesnt negatively effect me so I don't worry about it. <_<