ACN Latitudes Forums

inositol help

ds 14 is doing fairly well these days, but still has lots of trouble with motivation to do things that are less than rewarding. Also, having periods of nastiness when tired - especially in morning and at end of day. Some mild anxiety issues limit function as well. I am hoping to smooth things over a bit and thought I'd try inositol. Just picked up a bottle of 500mg. capsules. DS is adult sized, but tends to react very easily to meds, so I usually start at half a dose. Directions are to "take one capsule daily".... should I open this up and give him half a capsule a day to start with?

Any inositol experience welcome!

ds 14 is doing fairly well these days, but still has lots of trouble with motivation to do things that are less than rewarding. Also, having periods of nastiness when tired - especially in morning and at end of day. Some mild anxiety issues limit function as well. I am hoping to smooth things over a bit and thought I'd try inositol. Just picked up a bottle of 500mg. capsules. DS is adult sized, but tends to react very easily to meds, so I usually start at half a dose. Directions are to "take one capsule daily".... should I open this up and give him half a capsule a day to start with?

We've been using daily at full strength for dd10, who is 92 pounds. Definitely does not do any harm. LLMD thought no problem either. Tough to say if it makes a huge difference since she is doing so well right now anyway, but before we began I was thinking about prescription mood enhancers, then read about the benefits of inositol. I would give it a whirl!

It does come in powder form as well...you can get it online or at Whole Foods (in the liver section) or other health stores. I've heard it is better to introduce slowly, because it can make you pretty gassy. Increasing a bit at a time gives the digestive system time to adjust.

I have had great success with inositol with my non-pandas son (although not sure he is a non-pandas...will see what Dr. B thinks). He has tics, OCD, ADHD, and anxiety. He is on prozac but never had great success till I added the inositol. His anxiety and OCD are rarely a problem any longer, and I know it was the inositol. He is 12 and a real light weight, about 74 lbs. I started with 1 500mg and worked up to 2 500mg in morning and 2 at night, with only positive results. My guy is sensative to meds b/c of his tics, but never had a prob with inositol...its been the best thing for him. Good luck!

Here are some helpful articles:

http://www.nutritionj.com/content/7/1/2

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_255/ai_n6211958/

http://www.neuroticplanet.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8706&start=0

* this article gives dosing info. But the author presumes a tsp. contains a certain amt of inositol. Not all brands are the same. For example, we use Source Naturals, where 1/4 tsp. = 845 mg. Check the label of your brand before using Penzel's dosing guidelines. You may need to do some math to make it match your brand.

DS used it for 6 months in the early Pandas days and it made a noticeable difference. He was 55lbs at the time and we worked up from 400mg to 5.5 grams/day using the powder.

DD started using it about 5 weeks ago and it has definitely helped her OCD (intrusive thoughts) and general mood. She is 45 lbs and started at 400 mg (200 mg twice a day) and we've settled at 2.4 grams/day.

The studies talk about using inositol on adults, up to 18 grams/day with no negative consequences. Like an SSRI, you want to build up - both from a gas/cramps perspective and from a brain adjustment aspect. We ramped up over 4-5 weeks. If you decide to stop, you likewise need to taper down, not stop cold turkey. We used the powder as it helps you tweak dosing, and it has a very slightly sweet taste, like confectioner's sugar. I and my kids have taken it by just dumping a 1/4 tsp. on our tongues and chasing it down with water. You can also dissolve it in any drink.

One thing I learned from Fcxfer is that there's a sweet spot you're looking for. Build up enough that you see the anxiety fade. But if you then see a bipolar effect, see-sawing between anxiety/OCD and sudden anger/loss of impulse control, back the dose down. Your sweet spot is just below the point where you saw the anger.

Hope it helps!

Edited by LLM

:mellow:

I have had great success with inositol with my non-pandas son (although not sure he is a non-pandas...will see what Dr. B thinks). He has tics, OCD, ADHD, and anxiety. He is on prozac but never had great success till I added the inositol. His anxiety and OCD are rarely a problem any longer, and I know it was the inositol. He is 12 and a real light weight, about 74 lbs. I started with 1 500mg and worked up to 2 500mg in morning and 2 at night, with only positive results. My guy is sensative to meds b/c of his tics, but never had a prob with inositol...its been the best thing for him. Good luck!

Interesting, I didn't think you could take Inositol along with a SSRI?? I used it a couple years ago for tic suppression when my son was 9...about 75 lbs at the time (I think-don't quote me on that:0) He took 400 mg twice a day and tolerated it fine...it worked to suppress tics, IMO. I gave it in combo tab that contained choline as I had read you should not take one without the other. Complementary supplements sorta like NAC with Vit C but I have seen folks on forums give Inositol without Choline and do fine. I have never been able to refind that research I read so it must not be a pressing issue.

Interesting, I didn't think you could take Inositol along with a SSRI?? I used it a couple years ago for tic suppression when my son was 9...about 75 lbs at the time (I think-don't quote me on that:0) He took 400 mg twice a day and tolerated it fine...it worked to suppress tics, IMO. I gave it in combo tab that contained choline as I had read you should not take one without the other. Complementary supplements sorta like NAC with Vit C but I have seen folks on forums give Inositol without Choline and do fine. I have never been able to refind that research I read so it must not be a pressing issue.

Its true . . . you really shouldn't combine SSRIs and inositol since they work on the same system, that is serotonin availability. You run the risk of making too much serotonin available, and then you can get the same/similar activation that can occur with a too high dose of an SSRI.

Interestingly, just this past week our psych told us that NAC also enhances serotonin availability, along with its other properties and actions (such as glutamate modulation), so using it in combination with SSRIs and/or inositol also calls for slow and low dosing. I will say that we've been using it successfully accompanied by low-dose Zoloft, but out psych is of the opinion that, were it not for the NAC, DS would likely require a higher SSRI dose to achieve the same positive results we're currently seeing.

• 3 weeks later...

can anyone comment on inositol vs. curcumin supplement like enhansa?

thanks.

yes. My daughter has autism and PANDAS

she also has low IgG1, and other immune-issues

inositol is good , very good for her, helping a lot for autism-related-OCDs (specially in the past)

not so good for PANDAS-related-OCDs, because, as you know, the PANDAS-OCD's are ralated to immune system imbalances

but it still helping her, even if it does not stop OCDs as in the past(It is logical : PANDAS-OCDs have a different etiology)

for the same reason, we see that Enhansa is not good for her

Enhansa has antinflammatory efects , but it is also an immunomodulatory supplement

so, with Enhansa we stimulated her immune system, and this has had bad effects for her

moreover , she has phenol sensitivity, and Enhansa is full of phenols......and although we are using No-fenol enzymes, it was not enough to counter phenols effects....so, we stopped it