ACN Latitudes Forums

How long to see Dr. B?

MMWG

Sorry I am a huge board hog. In case I am not happy with the route my ped wants to take, I am checking out long distance options. Dr. B is in my insurance network, although still far away. We haven't pursued the immunologist route yet so I am interested in thinking about that. Anyone have any idea how long the wait is to see him?

We went to see Dr. B. for the first time a few weeks ago. We had a wait of 6 weeks. I was expecting a longer wait. I do think he is running longer now because of the holidays. If you think you might want to see him, make an appointment now, and if you change your mind you can cancel later.

Our first appt. was very much about Dr. B. going through my ds's history--onset, symptoms, response to the abx we have tried, other illnesses he has had, his recent flare up's and his response to meds tried, his response to steroids. We also discussed some family history; my other ds and his possible symptoms. He ordered extensive blood work and answered all the questions I had time to ask. Even though we already had a PANDAS diagnosis, he very thoroughly went through everything we have been through in the last 2.75 years. We drove 11 hours each way and it was worth every minute to have the peace of mind that ds is now being treated by someone who really knows PANS and how to treat it. We were fortunate to have good local care, but we wanted to see one of the experts and our ped encouraged us to make the transition. We will be doing phone follow-up's as well. Right now we are waiting on blood work results.

Thanks. I am bringing all of her records. Symptoms just started 6 weeks ago so she has not been on any mess. Just advil after hee spinal tap headache. I read on another thread that sometimes he checks the family members blood. Was that the case in your family? I'm trying to decide if I should bring my 2 yr old on the trip with us.

When we were there he did not have lab services in his office yet so we took the lab orders home with us and had labs drawn here so it was not necessary for all family members to be at the appointment. He told us at our appt that his office would be getting lab services in 2 weeks (that time has passed now) so I am assuming that you will be able to have blood drawn while there. But, that doesn't mean you couldn't have some family members' labs drawn at home. You could call the office and ask how they prefer to do it now just to be safe.