ACN Latitudes Forums

Does my hub have PANDAS

peglem

The last 2 weeks (maybe longer, but more intense the last 2 weeks) Hub has been having trouble w/ obsessive thoughts. They are interfering w/ sleep- averages @ 2 hours a night of sleep and cannot fall asleep unless I'm holding him (separation anxiety?). He had decided to stop eating meat, and he's a real carnivore, but today has decided to fast-water only, until he "feels better." He is type2 diabetic, so this is terribly concerning to me. Prior to the diet stuff he was exercising compulsively. His breath smells phlegmy and it seems like he's coming down w/ something. He thinks I'm crazy (really? He should hear himself rambling on and on about the same things over and over and over again) and will not get a strep test. I'm worried about him being around our daughter if he's sick- she sure doesn't need another flare up. I just don't know what to do. Heck, maybe he'll go into a coma from low blood sugar and I can get him hospitalized!

Peggy -

Would he at least go see the doctor . . . get a strep swab, etc.?

Our psych would tell you that EVERYONE is mentally and/or emotionally "different" when fighting a microbe or virus, and that it can increase the ferocity of "normal" tendencies in people, too. So, if you tend to be a bit obsessive when "healthy," you can become more so when under the weather. The result of inflammation in the brain while fighting something off, maybe?

Better safe than sorry, I think!

We had an abrupt about face this morning. Hub had to take his mom somewhere early today, and when he got home he suggested we go out somewhere for breakfast! I did not want to go (I'm so sick of dealing w/ his obsessions), but was excited enough that he wanted to eat that I sucked it up and went with him. His attitude was upbeat and casual- and he ate a lot! We went to a buffet style restaurant, so he was able to just keep getting food as much as he wanted. And we stayed after drinking coffee and just having a normal conversation. The gloominess has lifted. His obsessive thoughts had been remembering and reliving every bad feeling and slight he's ever had in life, so it was especially trying. I'm feeling a huge relief!

Had a really tough time getting Allie to school today- she kept saying she was scared when we asked. Took nearly 2 hours to get her out the door. I'm thinking she is in a flare- we'll see.

We had an abrupt about face this morning. Hub had to take his mom somewhere early today, and when he got home he suggested we go out somewhere for breakfast! I did not want to go (I'm so sick of dealing w/ his obsessions), but was excited enough that he wanted to eat that I sucked it up and went with him. His attitude was upbeat and casual- and he ate a lot! We went to a buffet style restaurant, so he was able to just keep getting food as much as he wanted. And we stayed after drinking coffee and just having a normal conversation. The gloominess has lifted. His obsessive thoughts had been remembering and reliving every bad feeling and slight he's ever had in life, so it was especially trying. I'm feeling a huge relief!

Had a really tough time getting Allie to school today- she kept saying she was scared when we asked. Took nearly 2 hours to get her out the door. I'm thinking she is in a flare- we'll see.

Sounds like everyone in your house needs to be tested. DH may have been able to successfully fight it off, but sounds like DD is now sick, and DH might still have something...just not be reacting as much...and who knows...maybe you have something too, by now!

Sounds like everyone in your house needs to be tested. DH may have been able to successfully fight it off, but sounds like DD is now sick, and DH might still have something...just not be reacting as much...and who knows...maybe you have something too, by now!

That isn't going to happen. Not only will Hub not get tested, but his mom won't either. They just will not believe that exposure alone can trigger this. And adult doctors here (we all have different ones, too) seem reluctant to swab for strep, especially w/o sore throat symptoms- they always want to check titers instead. I did get my hub to ask for a test once- the blood test was done, but hub never followed up w/ asking for results. There's only so much I can do.