ACN Latitudes Forums

More Methylation

If I remember correctly, Nancy reported anxiety effects with her son on SAMe. Was this because supplementation was methylating the Norepinephrine and producing Epinephrine????? I think Chemar's son did well on SAMe. I wonder what the difference is???? And I know I am only talking about one area where methylation occurs and therefore probably oversimplifying the problem. How would you ever know what to give?

Yes, I did report increased anxiety on SAMe. But the clarifying piece of that particular puzzle is that my DS is also taking low-dose Zoloft, so his serotonin levels are already getting an "assist," as it were. Also, arguably (at least according to our psychiatrist), DS gets some more norepineprine/epinephrine/serontonin assistance from regular supplementation with NAC. So the SAMe likely did to him what too-high doses of SSRIs have done to some PANDAS kids: took him past the "helpful" point to the "activated" point. I'm not certain that, were we to exchange some of the other meds/sups for the SAMe, that he wouldn't benefit, as well.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just re-read the histadelia thread from about 5 weeks ago with the same histamine questions circling the bowl. Cab40 was confused about low basophils but severe peanut allergies. Walsh references food intolerance with OM rather than seasonal environmental allergies that went with UM.

Histamine is found in mast cells and basophils. It doesn't seem to me like all "histamine" could be the same. There are four different histamine receptors H1, H2, H3, H4. H1 deals with the allergy functions, insect bites, motion sickness, hormones, sleep regulation. H3 deals with neurotransmitters histamine, serotonin, norepinephrine.

Does anyone have a lab or panel of histamine measurement that they can share? Is it a single measurement or is it related to these different receptors? It seems like interventions documented are discussed in terms of their impact on these different histamine recptors. Like Benedryl deals with H1 so it relieves allergy symptoms and makes you sleepy.

Walsh says OM's "can't tolerate SSRIs"......what does that mean? Don't many of our kids become activated by SSRIs? Their dose needs to be extremely low. Is that intolerance?

I'm getting itchy just reading this stuff.