ACN Latitudes Forums

LCD or LED

mar

I assume what Chemar has said is the typical answer for many with tics/TS, because of her broad knowledge on the topic and time on the board here. But I want to point out I used to have a terrible time with fluorescent lights (they would cause migraine headaches, rage, diarrhea, nightmares, ...) until I got treatment for lyme disease. I was diagnosed with TS, and had some tics, but tics were not my main issue.

I recently went shopping for a TV as our old one broke, and want to share what I learned. The plasma TV's use fluorescent lights. The LCD TV's use fluorescent lights. Even most of the LED TV's also have some LCD in them (I think these are the ones they call "backlit LED"), meaning they also use fluorescent lights. The only pure LED TV's I saw came in a very large size, something like 50 inches. So, I went with going to a second hand store and bought a used TV from the old CRT style, the kind with the very big back because of the tubes.

I hope one day they will make pure LED's in smaller size, 50 inches is too big for our size house and rooms, because I know LED lights are okay for me, whereas fluorescent lights are not.

Note also the newer style LCD and particularly plasma TV's have a very high refresh rate, which gives the brain a lot of information to process.

Fluorescent lights are evil. Aside from the gamma radiation the produce, and strong magnetic fields they produce, and constant flicker, and mercury, perhaps they are not too bad, but those are kind of significant issues in my opinion.

Edited by MichaelTampa

Note also the newer style LCD and particularly plasma TV's have a very high refresh rate, which gives the brain a lot of information to process.

Are you referring to 120/240hz mode? Those can be turned on and off and you can leave a TV in standard 60hz mode if you want. Some people don't like the "soap opera effect" that comes with the 120hz/240hz modes engaged anyway so they leave them off.

Plasmas are said to be 600Hz but it's referring to something different... a plasma TV doesn't display 600 frames per second.

Are you referring to 120/240hz mode? Those can be turned on and off and you can leave a TV in standard 60hz mode if you want. Some people don't like the "soap opera effect" that comes with the 120hz/240hz modes engaged anyway so they leave them off.

Plasmas are said to be 600Hz but it's referring to something different... a plasma TV doesn't display 600 frames per second.

That is what I was referring to, yes. I didn't realize you had a choice with those, good to know (although not going there myself these days).