ACN Latitudes Forums

immunizations

JAC

Lisa,

I just want to clarify, that I am not trying sway anyone's decision regarding any vaccination. My one hope is that parents will really look at the data from several different sources, and start asking some questions.

There are many, many people fighting in high places, for safe and effective vaccines. I just feel like they really need some help from the regular old parent, that asks questions like; What are the odds that my child will contract this, how can the illness be treated if they do contract it, what adverse events are associated with this vaccine, how long has it been used, what are the consequences to the population as a whole if people stop vaccinating for a particular disease, how long is immunity provided, do they know? Does the fact that my kids have an existing neurological problem make them more susceptible to an adverse event associated with a vaccine? Can titers be tested to see if they still have immunity from a previous vaccine before a booster is administered? How will I feel if I decline this vaccine, and my child gets the disease?

Anger really has no place in where I go from here with these issues. You can't make an informed choice, if anger rules and I need to remind myself of that often. I want to share information responsibly and encourage any parent with concerns about vaccinations to do their own research. Don't listen to me or any one Dr. or any one article.

Read what the AAP has to say, read what the vaccine advocates have to say, then read some of the Autism group sources. Dr. Mercola's site, is usually a good place to look for links to information from "the other side." Google the vaccine in question, and read several articles. These are things I'm doing, especially after reading Evidence of Harm, and Stephanie Cave's book, "What Your Dr. May Not Be telling you About Childhood Immunizations." I wish someone would write an updated version of the second book. It was not full of "awful" stuff, it just gave a lot good information, and I think it was very balanced.

You might be surprised to know, that in my mind, if there was an avoidable external factor that I suspected could be responsible for triggering a genetic suceptability for my guys tics, Soy Infant Formula would rival vaccines/thimerisal, for possible adverse effects that seem to fit.

Our air and water quality, PFOA in teflon pans, fabric/carpet protection, (we have a shiny new set of stainless steel-thanks Sheila!) the way our foods are processed, the flouride controversy and many other things, have caused me to wonder how any of us DON"T tic, or have a neuro disorder.

I'm glad you are looking for answers Lisa, and I hope you can get the Hep B straightened out quickly.

Kim

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's some info for you, Kim, about the chicken pox vaccine from our experience. My kids (13 and 11) got it in 1995. A few weeks ago, my daughter had a rash of red spots on her. No one at the doctor's office could actually tell me if it was really chicken pox because when kids get the vaccine their chicken pox, if they get it, don't "present" as normal chicken pox would. More importantly, the nurse said, "Your son really should get the booster because it looks like the vaccine is wearing off after 10 years". I was surprised, and still am, that if this in indeed the case that they should be officially notifying us. Personally, after having the kids get the vaccine, I would rather have them get a tiny case of real chicken pox so I know they have full immunity. Seems like this is more of a crap shoot. Also, once they get the vaccine they can still get shingles later in life since the vaccine lies dormant in the spinal column.

Lisa (a different one than above!)

Lisa,

http://www.drugs.com/cons/varivax_iii_systemic.html

From above link...

You can be considered to be immune to chickenpox only if you have received the right number of varicella vaccine doses (1 dose if you are between 12 months and 12 years of age; or 2 doses if you are 13 years of age or older). You also are considered to be immune if you have a doctor's diagnosis of a previous chickenpox infection or if you have had a blood test showing that you are immune to varicella.

If you can have a blood test to show immunity, maybe this is what they should be doing instead of "guessing," and just revaccinating.

Had I had known anything about these vaccines, Hep B (especially prior to any day care or prechool etc.) and Varicella are two that I'm pretty sure, that I would have declined, or gotten an exemption for.

Does anyone know if you do obtain an exemption, if you can get certain vaccines, and decline certain ones. If your exemption is based on religous , medical, or philosophical reasons, I'm not sure how you would justify one and not another.

http://www.mnaap.org/immuno_exempt.html

Have you decided if you will get another vax for this Lisa?

This is another site with a vaccine schedule. Also, note about the recommendation for the menningitis vax. From the way this is written, it doesn't look like it may be long and they will be adding this one as mandatory, possibly even for 2 yr. olds.

http://www.cdc.gov/nip/recs/child-schedule.htm#printable - has past schedules link

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/m...mmunizationa1_e current rec.

http://www.vaccinesafety.edu/thi-table.htm Updated table for Vaccines containing Thimerisal (previously posted)

If I get my 13 year old the the dtap that is now recommended, it will be his 6th, as he has had some combo of this shot 5 times btwn 1993 and 1997.

Kim

Thanks Giselle,

A few people on another bd. were talking about getting exemptions and saying it was really easy to just go to the health dept. and get a religious exemption. Apparently, they really can't question you about it too much. Medical can be trickier, and philosophical wasn't discussed.

Do you mind telling me which exemption you did? I would like to have the option of getting vax's but not having to either.

Kim

I'm still struggling with this whole issue too. We took Syd to her normal pediatrician for a physical and she is highly suggesting the meningitis (sp?) vaccine, Hep. B and Hep. A. She said because of the area we live in she is strongly recommending them. So, do I risk giving her the vaccine and her symptoms getting worse or do I give her the vaccine and leave open the opportunity for her to contract meningits and hepatitis? Ugh!!! She's doing pretty good these days. She did get a tetnus shot 2 days ago and I haven't noticed too much difference in her.

Lisa

Lisa,

What was the Dr. explanation for needing another Hep B? Did she feel that your record was wrong, and that your daughter had only had 2 hep B's previously?

Also, when you say a tetnus shot, was it the DTap or TD or DT?

I'm still trying to sort this out too. These details would be helpful.

TIA

Kim

This was a different doctor than the one Sydnie went to as a baby so she wasn't listening to me when I told her about the records. I don't know what kind of tetnus it was. I didn't know there were different kinds. She just kept saying because of the area we live in and she needs all these shots. I did email my aunt this morning and she gave me some good advise based on things she's learned along the way. So, I feel a lot better. She did say that any shot she gets that I should give her extra A, C, E and glutathione a week before the shot. At this point I think I will go ahead with Hep. A and the TB. I feel a lot better and am gaining strength in learning to stick up against the doctors. My husband wants to switch to another doctor for Sydnie - he doesn't like this lady's attitude - nor do I. We're hoping to find one that's a little more open although I know it will be tough. Thanks so much for all the info and questions Kim. You're teaching me a lot in this area - even if you're just a few steps ahead of someone, you're still a few steps ahead and able to help so thank you.

Lisa

Lisa,

Look at this chart. Under tetanus toxoid, with appears to be the only singular tetanus shot, all 3 still contain 25 mcgs. of thermerosal. The DT multi dose also still contains it.

http://www.vaccinesafety.edu/thi-table.htm

The new recommendations look to be for the Tdap (this one is thermerosal free) That's one of my questions, why are they recommending Tdap as of this year instead of a TD or DT, or the tetanus toxoid.

For any vax. I will ask for the insert from the box and bring it home and look everything up before I decide.

Even with the 2006 schedule, you can't be sure that all of the vaccines from previous years have expired, and that your child won't get one with mercury, if you don't check carefully. This is my impression anyway.

They should have recorded the vax. and manufacturer somewhere for you. I'm wondering how many Dr.s are aware that the tetanus toxid shots and booster still have the mercury, or if they care.

The Meningococcal-Menamune multi dose vial has 25 mcgs too, so this is one I think we would want to avoid too.

Lisa, I sure don't want to upset you, chances are that Sydnie got one of the shots without mercury, but it may be be helpful to someone else here (including me) if we knew if some of the Dr.s are still giving these mercury containing tetanus shots, or using the multi dose vials for the menningitis vaccine.

Kim

edited to correct Tdap instead of DTaP

• 3 weeks later...

I typed this a week ago and saved it, so I could go back and double check some things I said here. I haven't had time, and I'm going to post it anyway, in case it may be of interest to someone. Please do your own research and check with your Dr. in advance about what vaccine, how many, what is required...and what is just recommended BEFORE you vaccinate. If you don't have the time to search on Internet, ask for the insert from the box. I have found that they give a lot of info, on the prevalence of what is being vaccinated for, info on adverse reactions etc. <_<

I posted not long ago that my niece is expecting a baby in a couple of weeks. I've been trying to help her pick a Pediatrician, and getting more of an education on vaccines.

I called 4 offices, mostly DO's some had an MD and a DO or two in the office, and they were ALL using Pediarix. I call this a 5 in one vaccine since it contains Polio, Hep B and DTaP, they refer to it as a 3 in one. I guess they don't consider tetanus, diphtheria, and acellular pertussus to be 3 separate illnesses either.

I don't like Pediarix for a few reasons. One, if there is an adverse reaction, you don't know which component caused it, two, since a birth dose of Hep B is usually given, you are actually receiving an unnecessary 4th dose, and I feel it's too much to give 6 vaccines in one day, as the Hib is sometimes given with the Pediarix at 2 4 and 6 months. At the 6 month visit, they are recommending Prevnar or the pneumonia vaccine also, so make that 7, on that visit (not all offices do it the same way, at some they may leave time in-between, at some they may do more than 7, if Hep A or meningitis are recommended too...this is MY understanding).

So, I moved on to calling Wellness and Hopewell Pharmacies to see if I could find the MMR as separate injections. Hopewell 1-800-792-6670 had all three. The cost was 31.85 for measles, 26.45 for mumps and 28.55 for rubella. There is a 30.00 S&H fee. He told me that the Pediatrician needs to fax the order about 1 week in advance. You need to pay in advance and ask insurance for reinbusement. Wellness said they could only get the measles and rubella in packs of 10, cost $200.00. They said mumps was unavailable and they didn't know when it would be available again.

Then I called the Health Dept., and YES.... They can give the individual vaccines, not just the Pediarix. I didn't ask her if they carried the MMR individually (forgot). The lady I spoke with was very respectful of all of my questions, and confirmed that yes, babies given the birth dose of Hep B were receiving an extra dose, when Peds. used Pediarix. I told her about my concern of adverse reactions and not knowing which one may have cause, and her remark was that the DTaP would be the most suspect. I also told her that I had read that the TDaP was now on the schedule for 12 year olds, and asked why TDaP and not just the tetanus booster. She said Pertussis is on the rise and that, is now the recommendation. Afterwards, I wondered why, since my son has been vaccinated 5 times previously for Purtussis, what makes them think this on will provide immunity, and for how long?

It was interesting, when my niece told her OB that she didn't want the birth dose of Hep B and that she knew she needed her titers tested to prove that she was negative (so an infected Mom doesn't pass it to the baby at birth) her OB informed her that it had already been tested in her pregnancy blood work and was negative. Why would you test these titers, give 4 doses to an infant 6 mos. of age and younger, when Hep B is transmitted through sexual intercourse, getting tattoo's, IV drug use, and blood to blood contact? This, in my opinion is outrageous, especially when this is NOT explained to parents, so an informed choice can be made.

Sorry if I'm repeating myself here, but I now realize that both of my boys had reactions to vaccines. I specifically and innocently asked one Dr. in ER why he didn't suspect his shot when the fever (105) and rash were in the time frame that's warned of. He said the rash didn't look right. Why wasn't a VAERS report offered? Maybe I would have had a heads up, before I did the same thing to my second son

**Pediarix does NOT contain HIB....It's DTaP, Polio, and HepB** OOPS Changed above

IRONIC?

Vax both of my boys received. Combination Hib and DTP. I'm not chemist but the casamino acids AND yeast kind of make me wonder, not to mention the Thimerosal. In another article it referred to casamino acids as casein. This vax was licensed in 1994. I'm wondering how many with milk sensitivities had this, and need to see what other vax. are grown this way. It seems yeast is mentioned in at least a few, but this one was the first time I saw caesin. It destroys vitamins and Trypophan? Was the amount in the vaccine, being given to an 8 week old infant possibly having this effect to some degree and then again at 16 and 24 weeks?

Tetramune:

http://www.whale.to/vaccines/tetramune.html

The diphtheria and tetanus toxoids are derived from Corynebacterium diphtheriae and Clostridium tetani, respectively, which are grown in media according to the method of Mueller and Miller and are detoxified by use of formaldehyde. The toxoids are refined by the Pillemer alcohol fractionation method and are diluted with a solution containing sodium phosphate monobasic, sodium phosphate dibasic, glycine and thiomersal (mercury derivative) as a preservative.

The oligosaccharides are derived from highly purified capsular polysaccharide, polyribosylribitol phosphate, isolated from Haemophilus influenzae type b grown in a chemically defined medium and coupled by reductive amination directly to highly purified CRM197. CRM197 is a nontoxic variant of diphtheria toxin isolated from cultures of C. diphtheriae C7 ( beta 197) grown in a casamino acids and yeast extract based medium. The conjugate is purified by diafiltration to remove unreacted protein, oligosaccharides and reagents, and sterilised by filtration.

http://www.usbio.net/Product.aspx?ProdSku=C2080

Casamino Acids is a hydrochloric acid hydrolysate of casein. Supplies a completely hydrolyzed protein nitrogen source. It contains a small amount of cystine. Tryptophan and vitamins are destroyed by the acid treatment. The remaining amino acids (in varying amounts) are a source of nutrients for various microorganisms. Amino acids are highly soluble and suitable for use in tissue culture. Salt content is typically 30-40%.

I have to tell you guys, today I went to the new Pediatrician with my neice. We have a beauuuuutiful baby girl. Got into the vax. thing. Needless to say, she COULD NOT (Dr.) figure out why ANYONE would be against Pediarix. I gave my reasons, including that the birth dose of HEP B being extra (which our girl did not get). I asked her about the aluminum and formaldehyde and if she didn't think there was ANY chance that some kids immune systems were being overwhelmed. We explained that we wanted the individual shots spaced farther apart. She said that she didn't think the things I was talking about were still in the shots, and yes the birth dose was extra, but in some populations, not really around here.....(I'm assuming she meant in area's of heavy drug use and infected Mom's?) that it could be a problem. All she kept saying was, Pediarix was the same 3 (5 components) shots that they would get anyway only in one vax! Why wouldn't I be HAPPY about that? Then she started in on my neice about this being HER decision, not mine, and to do her own research. HA! My neice calmly said I don't want it, it's too many in one day. Then I asked her about thimerisal. Her response "Oh, that was a hoax. One of the Dr.s that made that claim apologised." I told her she was referring to Andy Wakefield, and I really didn't think she had her facts straight. She then said we could just agree to disagree. Suddenly she didn't want to discuss it anymore. I never did want to discuss it, I simply asked told her it was a concern, and we wanted individual vaccines she kept saying "why in the world, we've been waiting for a vax like this for years, why would you possibly etc. The word HOAX just about brought my snickers butt, right off the chair. I smiled a lot and was very non challenging, but she got a little flustered. :)

Please read the insert for safety info. regarding the use of of Pediarix in infants given the birth dose of Hep B.

Here's the link http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:NNF7nm...k&cd=8&ie=UTF-8 Pediarix

The aluminum and formaldehyde are there too.