ACN Latitudes Forums

immunizations

JAC

Can anybody give me advice on the immunizations required before I may register my son for middle school in California? (He has TS. OCD, Depression)

I now have concerns about these immunizations for him. I know how much the supplements have helped him along with removing environmental perfumes and etc.

I know I can ask for certain immunizations that may be less harmful for him.

Advice on this requirement for middle school or specifics about these immunizations in particular?

Thanks!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi JAC

the important thing is to request that all the vaccines be free of thimerisol, which is the mercury containing preservative used in many vaccines ....I think tho that califirnia may already have eliminated thimerisol preservatives??

Here in florida it is only the hepatitis vaccine that is required for middle school, as the kids have usually had all the others when they are younger.

I know that there has been info out that the MMR (measles mumps and rubella) should NOT be given as a single shot as is the custom, but should rather be given as three separate vaccinations.

HTH

JAC,

http://www.cispimmunize.org/

Look down the left hand side to Important vaccinations for 11-19 year olds.

The only ones I see that look like they are probably mandatory now is the DTaP and maybe the MCV4 (Meningococcal conjugate), if your child was fully immunized when younger.

I believe if you have not completed Hep B, MMR, varecilla etc. when younger, they will be required now, as this would be considered a catch up period.

If you click on "When Do children and teens need vaccination" you will see a chart that has Tdap/Dtap and MCV4 checked.

Probably best to check with your childs physician or the school, to see exactly what they are requiring. I have read at least one place on this site, where it talks about how many states are requiring the MCV4 for college admission, so I would think it can vary from state to state.

This link will give you updated information on the whole DT, Td, DTaP confusion.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/r...id=rr55e223a1_e

I will try to find more info. on the thimerosal content. I would be surprised if either of these contain it, however, the stimulative effects on the immune system also concern me too.

I am struggling with this. I need to check into the details too, and make a decision. I know we could be faced with this conversation at any Dr.s visit now, with my oldest son. I see California is a State where you have 3 options for filing an exemption. Please keep me posted on your thoughts on this :P

For anyone interested in the single dose MMR:

Wellness Phamacy sells single dose viles of MMR

2228 E Papermill Road | Winchester, Virginia 22601

Phone (540) 723-6883 | Toll Free (800) 880-5882 | Fax (540) 723-9704

Hopewell Pharmacy

1-800-792-6670

http://www.hopewellrx.com/

Your Dr. may not even know that this is an option, or may have no idea how to obtain them.

Kim

JAC,

http://www.cispimmunize.org/

Look down the left hand side to Important vaccinations for 11-19 year olds.

The only ones I see that look like they are probably mandatory now is the DTaP and maybe the MCV4 (Meningococcal conjugate), if your child was fully immunized when younger.

I believe if you have not completed Hep B, MMR, varecilla etc. when younger, they will be required now, as this would be considered a catch up period.

If you click on "When Do children and teens need vaccination" you will see a chart that has Tdap/Dtap and MCV4 checked.

Probably best to check with your childs physician or the school, to see exactly what they are requiring. I have read at least one place on this site, where it talks about how many states are requiring the MCV4 for college admission, so I would think it can vary from state to state.

This link will give you updated information on the whole DT, Td, DTaP confusion.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/r...id=rr55e223a1_e

I will try to find more info. on the thimerosal content. I would be surprised if either of these contain it, however, the stimulative effects on the immune system also concern me too.

I am struggling with this. I need to check into the details too, and make a decision. I know we could be faced with this conversation at any Dr.s visit now, with my oldest son. I see California is a State where you have 3 options for filing an exemption. Please keep me posted on your thoughts on this :P

For anyone interested in the single dose MMR:

Wellness Phamacy sells single dose viles of MMR

2228 E Papermill Road | Winchester, Virginia 22601

Phone (540) 723-6883 | Toll Free (800) 880-5882 | Fax (540) 723-9704

Hopewell Pharmacy

1-800-792-6670

http://www.hopewellrx.com/

Your Dr. may not even know that this is an option, or may have no idea how to obtain them.

Kim

Great post Kim.

I also live in Ca. and my daughter needs Hep. B for 7th grade next year. I called the natural doctor we see and she said it should be ok - that CA has taken Thimerisol out of the vaccines. I feel better now about getting her the shot and she will get it next week.

Lisa

Hi, I live in California too and it is a state where you can decline vaccinations and still register for school. You have to sign a waiver (which they don't really tell you about as they'd rather you have them) but you DON'T have to - especially given you're child's history. I sign one at my son's school and for Cub Scouts and all is well. He hasn't had his vaccinations (after a certain point he was really reacting badly) and he is still in school - but I have to redo this each year.

Giselle

Here in Nebraska they now send a waiver form also in the papers for immunizations for Kindergarteners & 7th graders and you can either choose to decline because of religious or medical reasons. They didn't used to do this, but I know they've been doing this for atleast the last 3 years in our school system anyways. Hep. B & Meningococcal wasn't required when I was a 7th grader. In the Universities I've looked at transferring to they seem to often require you to get a Meningococcal shot if your staying in the dorms or sign a waiver. I think the most important thing is making sure they don't contain Thimerisol though.

Carolyn

Kim,

I'm really glad you asked me this question. I hadn't even looked at the immuniztion card - I stupidly just received the notice and figured she needed this shot. I called her doctor we see regarding tics and she said it should be fine. But - I just went to her immunization card and noticed that 3 Hep. B shots are recorded although the first one is dated (handwritten) 2/94 - A MONTH BEFORE SHE WAS BORN. The next one is dated a month after she was born and the 3rd one at 1 year of age. So - what do I do with that? I'll call the doctors office and have them pull her file and try to figure this out. Thanks for the prompting to ask me that question so I could get a handle on it now.

Lisa

Lisa,

I'm really GLAD too!

Right after I sent that question to you, I called the school administration. I told the lady that I needed info. on required vaccinations for attendance. Then I explained that we had provided the proof of immunization for 6th grade, but I had seen on the updated schedule that my son was due for a Dtap (if 5 yrs. from last dose) and the meningococcal vac. is now on the schedule too, but I was unsure if it was mandatory. She said they do not require proof of anything beyond the up to date 6th grade record. Apparently, boosters or the meningococcal are not required for school attendance. :) THEN she told me that her daughter was a nurse at a local hospital here, and that they had seen menningitis already this year :P

I asked her how we would know if a vaccine did become a requirement. She said they would be notified by the State, their computer program would be changed to include the new vaccine, it would flag everyone, and a note would be sent out at that time, notifing us that we were not current. Then, she said there are Many Many mistakes btwn dates that get reported to the State, and the parents vaccine cards, however it made no difference to them as long as they were all there. I think I posted how incomplete my sons vaccine records are. I would bet Sydnie did have her series, and someone put down the wrong date.

They don't want us playing Dr. and darn, I don't want too, but I wish someone would! If I knew it was weird that she was supposed to get one now, wouldn't someone there have figured that out? Maybe there is a logical explaination and I'm shooting my mouth off prematurely. This vaccine in particular makes me really angry because of the time frame it was given, and how UNLIKELY my new baby was to EVER get hep b in the first yr. after birth, or before they became sexually active, or got a tatoo, or started shooting drugs, had blood to blood contact with an infected person, sheesh, I think we had time!!

Please let us know how this turns out Lisa.

Kim

I was talking to a friend tonite, and she just had her kids in for a well child visit, and her Pediatrician recommended the Meningococcal vac. for her 12 yr. old son. She said she declined for now, so apparently the Dr.s are recommending it. That's what happened with the chicken pox vac. too, then all of a sudden, they decided lost wages justified ANOTHER vaccine, and made it mandatory. I was one of the parents who got the chicken pox vaccine BEFORE they made it mandatory. Now, I worry that the immunity will wear off when they're older, when it's more dangerous, as it is really unknown at this time how long the immunity lasts. I don't want to make any more of these mistakes, without really looking into both sides of a recommended vaccine. I didn't look into anything period. I just trusted.

Thought I better add that there have been children who have become seriously ill, and even deaths associated with chicken pox. Can't quote the #'s though.

Thanks for your info. I'll let you know. I know out here Syd's pediatrician highly recommended a Hep. B shot 2 years ago. I obviously ignored the recommendation. I had to leave a message with the doctors records dept. so I'll wait for their call re: the dates. I read on another board - an autism board 2 moms who said coincidentally after receiving the Hep. B themselves as adults they came down with an autoimmune disease. It's all so horrible. I'm starting to re-think the shot and get a waiver. I've heard nothing about the

Meningococcal yet. I hate that I was so trusting of the doctors and the vaccines they pumped her with. :P Thanks again!!

Lisa

Kim,

I appreciate all your advice and details. The websites you listed are definitely helpful, and I'll now start some research.

As I replied to Chemar, I never gave immunizations a second thought. When my son's were babies, we just dutifully did as we were told. I didn't even know that Tourette's was in my family until we drew some conclusions after the symptoms began with my oldest son. I never even showd symptoms of depression until my youngest was about the age of 1 (I was 33). It has certainly thrown my family into a different reality.

I'm obviously new to this forum and have had some trouble replying appropriately, etc. It's taken me a couple of days to even get back to the forum since I posted (A family of 6 keeps me pretty busy!). I hope you'll check it!

Thanks again,

JAC

Hi JAC

the important thing is to request that all the vaccines be free of thimerisol, which is the mercury containing preservative used in many vaccines ....I think tho that califirnia may already have eliminated thimerisol preservatives??

Here in florida it is only the hepatitis vaccine that is required for middle school, as the kids have usually had all the others when they are younger.

I know that there has been info out that the MMR (measles mumps and rubella) should NOT be given as a single shot as is the custom, but should rather be given as three separate vaccinations.

HTH

Thanks, Chemar and Sydsmom...

This is very helpful. I couldn't remember the preservative name, although I had heard it only once before.

A second MMR is required along with Hep B. I'll have to get my son's immunization card out and check it out. I never thought twice when my boys were babies/toddlers about vaccines. Now I'm living in a whole different world.

I do have concerns about not immunizing, but I certainly don't need anything triggering more issues with my son's health.

Thanks again!

JAC