ACN Latitudes Forums

Allergy Test and Tics

Bigal

My 10 year old son has tourettes. Since I started him on fish oil 14 months ago his tics have been negligible. But now this week they are back. We noticed them a little on Tuesday, more Wednesday and today. He had his second round of allergy shots on Monday. I suspect the shots have aggravated his tics. Has anybody had that happen?

I'm also wondering whether the effect is likely to be long or short term. I hope this presumed reaction to the shots is temporary. If it is temporary then maybe we'll endure the six months of weekly allergy shots. Perhaps it would even serve to lessen his tics because it reduces his sensitivity to these allergens.

Thanks

Alan

Hi Chris

My son had his first round of shots on Nov 14 and then his second on Nov 22. He seldom tics these days, but he started ticcing after the second round. He ticced quite a bit about 24 hours after that round. The tics have been slowly diminishing since. I spoke to his neurologist today and the told me that he knows of no connection between allergy shots and tics and found nothing in the literature.

Is your son getting allergy shots as well?

I'm probably going to bring Wyatt for his shots today and see what happens.

Alan

Alan, the tests for inhalent allergies is on our list of things to do, so I'm always interested to hear what experiences others have had with shots. It seems logical to me that if your son is reactive to a certain allergen, that the shot to build tolerance could produce a reaction. Good luck with the next round.

Chris

For what it's worth, my tics started around the time I was getting allergy shots (I never finished treatment).

I don't think it was the shots that caused it, but you never know.

Eeek, I don't like hearing that. He got his third round of shots on Monday. There have been some tics. But it doesn't seem like the third round worsened the tics. Just more of what I saw last week, after they settled down after the bad day.

My lovely son is now 20 years old. I posted for many years on Tourettenowwhat site. So glad you are here. He had every kind of tic from age 10 til 18. I won't list them here, but they were motor, vocal, coprolalia, copropraxia.

We tried a few meds, liked Clonidine which really helped when his tics were painful and very extreme (screaming), and had great success with Taurine, supervised by a local MD who is also a naturopath (at that point, off the Clonidine).

Finally our BIG BREAK came when I took him to a local developmental pediatrician who specialized in autism (age 17). He did blood work and found a gluten sensitivity.

Since then, whenever he stays away from gluten, tics completely drop dramatically. He chooses pizza or crackers plus bread, a. he feels sick and b. he starts ticcing.

I would absolutely recommend blood work to look at gluten, casein, soy, corn, other common offenders. We did many foods but only came up with gluten.

Much luck, life gets better, there were hundreds of dark days and sleepless nights. Technically he was "not supposed" to grow out of this due to comorbids but really, to meet him now you'd never believe he suffered so much.

Hi Whackomom

Thanks for the post. I was wondering though, what is the connection between the co-morbids and growing out of his tics. My son's co-morbids are ADHD and Generalized Anxiety Disorder (though I'm not sure that's connected). Do these somehow mean he is less likely to see a reduction in tics after he leaves adolescence.

Thanks

Alan

For what it's worth, my tics started around the time I was getting allergy shots (I never finished treatment).

I don't think it was the shots that caused it, but you never know.

Eeek, I don't like hearing that. He got his third round of shots on Monday. There have been some tics. But it doesn't seem like the third round worsened the tics. Just more of what I saw last week, after they settled down after the bad day.

I don't think it was the allergy shots that caused it.

I think it was one of the following that also occurred around that time:

1) my high school had black mold and a lot of people were getting sick. There were lawsuits and they eventually closed down the school. I remember a poster here said black mold has been tied to tics

2) I was using Flonase which is an intranasal corticosteroid which may have pushed me over the threshold for tics (assuming I was genetically close to the threshold beforehand)

Or maybe both of those together.

Edited by guy123