ACN Latitudes Forums

Nystatin question

I know this has been addressed before, but I'm drawing a blank. Does Nystatin need to be separated from probiotics, especially florastor? Also, is there other options besides the oral tabs? My dd is having a difficult time swallowing them. Thanks.

I hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving!

DS takes his nystatin with antibiotics, and at least 2 hours away from probiotics and supplements. I'm sure it comes in liquid (suspension). We had to specify at our pharmacy that we wanted tablets b/c they wanted to give us the liquid, which DS will not take.

Drat - I gave dd her first dose this evening 1/2 hour after giving culturelle. She has an RX for 10 days, three times daily (500,000 unit). Normally she would balk at the liquid, but she is having some difficulty swallowing again, so it may be my only option. She is not currently on any antibiotics. I will seperate 2-3 hours starting tomorrow. How about the Florastor? Can it be given while on Nystatin? Also, is there any side effects - specifically nausea and/or vomiting (hope not)? Thanks.

Back when I was using nystatin and probiotics, I took them regularly at the same time and thought that worked just fine. I don't see why it would be a problem. The nystatin is an antifungal, the probiotics are not going to be hurt by that, nor are they going to hurt the antifungal.

I got nystatin liquid from a compounding pharmacy, prepared without flavors/colors/sweeteners/etc, I thought it tasted delicious as it was.

Okay, I got curious and did some googling. From what I'm reading, nystatin will kill yeast and fungals, but not bacteria. Probiotics are bacteria, so they are safe from nystatin. But some probiotics also contain a good yeast called saccharomyces boulardii. Florastor has this. S. boulardii would be killed by nystatin, so you want to separate those 2 with as much time as possible between them.