ACN Latitudes Forums

Shin Pain as a herx

ksole

My daughter 7, was having what I believe as a herx on day 10 of bactrim/zithro. At night she was in pain that was in her shins that was nonstop until I gave her motrin, the next morning she was still hunched over and afraid to put pressure on her shins, once again I gave her the motrin and the doctor said it was very common with the bacteria to cause shin pain. Has anyone experienced this? Just wondering if there was any suggestions, I also gave her an epsom salt bath and she drinks lemon water and probiotics. Thanks

Shin pain, along with many others was one of my DD10's presenting symptoms for lyme/bartonella. It factored in her initial herx when she started on biaxin/rifampin. The worst was 2-3 weeks into treatment, and lasted for about 1 week. After 4 months on rifampin most of her symptoms have resolved, although she is starting to have more lyme symptoms (joint pain, tingling in extremities) that she did not have before. Her LLMD started her on A-Bart after discontinuing rifampin to keep addressing bartonella. When I tried to ramp up too fast the shin pain/headache/stomach pain/motor and vocal tics all returned within 20 minutes of the highest dose. We backed off and they have resolved. No suggestions really - we do the epsom salt baths/lemon juice/probiotic/and also some psyllium to keep things moving along.

Edited by rowingmom

Thank you for sharing your experience, I thought it was a long time for my daughter to have such a painful herx but now I see it can continue for days. I know we are just starting so I am sure there is more to come but atleast I have hope ! Thanks !