ACN Latitudes Forums

Dr. K's patients or others

My son recently had a C3a/C4a test run by Jewish Health. (Dr. T. ordered it at my request.) His results were C3a normal (240 -- reference range (0-940)) and C4a very high (8371 -- reference range (0-2830)). Dr. T was very surprised by these results (my son's IGENEX lyme tests were all normal) and said a positive C4a and normal C3a meant chronic lyme, mold, or other chronic infection/autoimmune disease. I have since read that the C4a can be elevated in Hashimoto's Disease (hypothyroid autoimmune condition).

Dr. T told me that Dr. K had e-mailed him last week saying he was ordering this test and lots of his patients were coming back with high C4a. I was wondering if anyone who goes to Dr. K may have had this test run. If so, what were your child's results? What did Dr. K think it meant? What did he advise?

Just a note, the C3a/C4a is different than a C3/C4 test. Also, the C3a/C4a test would need to have been run through Jewish Health to be acccurate. If you use Quest, they would have sent it to Jewish Health. If you use LabCorp, it is a less accurate test. My son's C3a and C4a were normal using LabCorp's test.

Are you aware that Hashimotos can occur in the brain as Hashimoto's encephalitis? It presents similarly to PANDAS. I have become aware of this recently.

I would follow up w/ Free T4, TSH, anti thyroid peroxida and anti thyroglobulin AB. The last two are especially important. If your child has been treated for PANDAS and you are not seeing relief, follow up on the thyroid tests.

We see Dr K but he didn't order these tests back in the spring.

Are you aware that Hashimotos can occur in the brain as Hashimoto's encephalitis? It presents similarly to PANDAS. I have become aware of this recently.

I would follow up w/ Free T4, TSH, anti thyroid peroxida and anti thyroglobulin AB. The last two are especially important. If your child has been treated for PANDAS and you are not seeing relief, follow up on the thyroid tests.

We see Dr K but he didn't order these tests back in the spring.

Yes, I was aware of this. But thank you for mentioning it. My son has had Free T3, Free T4, TPO, anti-thyroglobulin and TSH tests run--all normal. But his morning body temperature is low so I am asking our naturopath to treat for hypothyroidism anyway. I know that thyroid problems can still exist even if the tests are all negative. I think, though, that 95% if Hashimoto cases can be ruled out with a negative TPO and anti-thyroglubulin.