ACN Latitudes Forums

sinus infecion with no symptoms, How?

danddd

dan -- i have no answer to your question -- just that we have experienced similar.

ds7 - at onset -- complained of intense eye pain for a few days -- dr suggested ocular migraines. he was 4 and it was nov/dec - so likely he did have runny/stuffy nose but i can't remember. in feb, after switching drs -- a sinus CT showed all 6 cavities infected. main symptoms were pandas onset.

just this week, i took ds9 in b/c he's been doing throat clearing for a few weeks -- i was concerned could be tic. early this week, he complained of being stuffy at night, throat hurting in am, and stomach hurting. so - yes symptoms but i think he's been having trouble for a few weeks with throat clearing as main symptom. dr said had a ton of post-nasal drip and is treating for sinus infection.

is your dd on abx?

I am still trying to figure out how my dd5 had a sinus infection, that was apparently there for a while, and had no symptoms. no fever, boogies, headache, stuffiness, nothing. she hasent even had a cold in a long time. i am so confused. any ideas?

My son had frequent, asymptomatic sinus infections. The asymptomatic ones were generally in the ethmoid sinus, which is pretty far up and has difficulty draining if there is inflammation. He generally showed PANDAS symptoms, and when he did say his head hurt we attributed it to psychosomatic issues of school refusal. At one point, he had a large cyst that was actually eroding his sinus bone - it had been there for over a year before we found it- and the only symptoms were PANDAS symptoms (separation anxiety, urinary frequency, joint pain, fatigue, brain fog). Local docs all said it was depression, but we got to Dr. B who found the sinus issues.

We really need to be on the lookout for sinus issues. My son's ENT recently got a machine in his office that allows him to place a scope up my son's nose and really look at all the sinuses right in the office - without a CT scan! It has been a big help.

Edited by kimballot

A similar experience -- 4 years ago at my d's "worst" episode an MRI showed sinusitis...as a result my husband asked our general ped. for abx. She was put on abx and a steroid burst at the same time...she came out of the "episode" .. and healing continued for 9 months. The change was clearly evident though with the steroids and abx, and the only way we knew was the MRI!

I am still trying to figure out how my dd5 had a sinus infection, that was apparently there for a while, and had no symptoms. no fever, boogies, headache, stuffiness, nothing. she hasent even had a cold in a long time. i am so confused. any ideas?

Maybe it has something to do with biofilms???

I have had a sub clinical sinus infection for 2-3 years. My worse episode of strep in my life last year-and then onset of symptoms with my son(OCDetc). My symptomatic son seems to be mirroring me- or me him. I get a sore throat, he gets a sore throat etc. I see my immunity as well needs to be dealt with.

dd had sinus infections that seemed asymptomatic but actually she did have some symptoms, she had head aches and post nasal drainage that she had become so accustomed to that she didn't realize that it wasn't normal.

when she started lyme treatment, the sinus drainage issues seemed to resolve and so far, no more sinus infections.

ozimum, can you (or someone else) explain the significance of biofilms. i read that they can occur in sinusitis, but how does that change things, what does it mean?

thanks guys

happy thanksgiving

I’m still trying to get my head around biofilms. This is what I understand so far...

Colonies of bacteria etc can be found as a slime called biofilm – an example is dental plaque. The slime provides an environment which increases resistance to antibiotics. I understand that macrolide antibiotics have some traction against biofilms, whereas antibiotics like amoxicillin do not. These biofilms can be found in the mouth, in the sinuses, tonsils, middle ear, urinary tract, and gut.

The following is from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biofilm

"It has recently been shown that biofilms are present on the removed tissue of 80% of patients undergoing surgery for chronic sinusitis. The patients with biofilms were shown to have been denuded of cilia and goblet cells, unlike the controls without biofilms who had normal cilia and goblet cell morphology.[26] Biofilms were also found on samples from two of 10 healthy controls mentioned. The species of bacteria from interoperative cultures did not correspond to the bacteria species in the biofilm on the respective patient's tissue. In other words, the cultures were negative though the bacteria were present.[27]"

What do you conclude from those last two sentences? I’m thinking I have more questions than answers at this point...