ACN Latitudes Forums

Basophil# very low

My son has had the CBC with differential test run several times in the past year. Each time his baso# has been "0." Dr. T said this was a sign of an immune problem and that he consistently sees this in PANDAS kids (can't remember if he said he sees it in all PANDAS kids or just those with the adolscent-variant as my son has).

Anyway, from what I can understand, baso# is determined by dividing (basophils (presented as a decimal)) by (# of WBC). The normal range is 0.0 to 0.3. So my son is considered in the normal range. What doesn't make sense to me is how you would ever get a number lower than 0.0 (i.e. a negative number). It seems like 0.0 is the lowest number you can get. So how can "0" be in the normal range?

Also, does anyone know what a low basophil # means. My son is low-histamine and has a very low IgE (8).

Thank you.

Huh. I have to go back and look at labs. I don't think we've ever done the math as far as finding the ratio of WBC's to basophils. But, my daughter's IgE is very low...don't remember the exact #, but seems like it was only 1 or 2.

Edited by peglem

My son has had the CBC with differential test run several times in the past year. Each time his baso# has been "0." Dr. T said this was a sign of an immune problem and that he consistently sees this in PANDAS kids (can't remember if he said he sees it in all PANDAS kids or just those with the adolscent-variant as my son has).

Anyway, from what I can understand, baso# is determined by dividing (basophils (presented as a decimal)) by (# of WBC). The normal range is 0.0 to 0.3. So my son is considered in the normal range. What doesn't make sense to me is how you would ever get a number lower than 0.0 (i.e. a negative number). It seems like 0.0 is the lowest number you can get. So how can "0" be in the normal range?

Also, does anyone know what a low basophil # means. My son is low-histamine and has a very low IgE (8).

Thank you.

Yup my daughter's WBC was low too.

Obviously that means that her body is having a hard time fighting infection.

Thank you.

Same thing here, and with Dr T. Going to take all results to a Pandas Ped and see what we can do.....from what I have read it can also be low because of too much copper and so on, so maybe testing for metals. It seems like it can be treated with different B vitamins etc but I want to see what a Doc says before I go messing with all these Vitamins so that I get the right ones. SO many needles in the haystack and we are left to figure them out.

Same thing here, and with Dr T. Going to take all results to a Pandas Ped and see what we can do.....from what I have read it can also be low because of too much copper and so on, so maybe testing for metals. It seems like it can be treated with different B vitamins etc but I want to see what a Doc says before I go messing with all these Vitamins so that I get the right ones. SO many needles in the haystack and we are left to figure them out.

Will you please let me know what you find out? Thanks.

Will you please let me know what you find out? Thanks.

Absolutely, I will post what we find out. Waiting right now for the family results of lyme, myco, and strep. Then off to make an appointment with the PANDAS Ped with all the tests results to date in hand!

Still thinking it could be heavy metal toxicity and have read about this causing the PANDAS stuff too. Want to rule out all gray areas so I know how to proceed and treat. Lets face it, we the parents are doing the leg work and making the decisions of treatment it seems. So for myself, I want no stone left unturned prior to being aggressive with any treatments. My ds is seronegative PANS as diagnosed by Dr T. His is more viral triggered I am told, so not sure if or how ABX would help this. Was told something about ABX and T-cell receptors that could possibly help in this type of PANS but can't find much info on that out there.

Edited by MaggiesMoons