ACN Latitudes Forums

Ever worry about cardiac involvement in our kids?

I have often wondered if the fatigue and even shortness of breath my son has experienced during very severe exacerbations might really be acute rheumatic fever that we are missing. The docs (PANDAS docs included) have reassured me that we do not need to go down that path, and he does always seem to get his stamina back once his infection clears.... but I've still always wondered.

I just came across this 2004 article (you may have already read it) that indicates that out of 60 kids with PANDAS that they evaluated, non had signs of ARF and only one had some mitral valve regurgitation- which (I suppose) could be found in a general population of 60 kids...

So - Just thought I'd share.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/114/6/e748.full.pdf+html

UPDATE: I just corrected the URL so it is one that everyone can access - sorry!

Edited by kimballot

I have often wondered if the fatigue and even shortness of breath my son has experienced during very severe exacerbations might really be acute rheumatic fever that we are missing. The docs (PANDAS docs included) have reassured me that we do not need to go down that path, and he does always seem to get his stamina back once his infection clears.... but I've still always wondered.

I just came across this 2004 article (you may have already read it) that indicates that out of 60 kids with PANDAS that they evaluated, non had signs of ARF and only one had some mitral valve regurgitation- which (I suppose) could be found in a general population of 60 kids...

So - Just thought I'd share.

Edited by tpotter

We did actually have to get my daughter evaluated a few times by a cardiologist after each episode of severe tics/chorea.

The first time she did have mitral valve regurgitation, but the cardiologist said that there was no way to tell if it had been there already as she had never been to a hospital etc. before that.

The first time (and this was in the middle of severe chorea), both the technician and the cardiologist seemed quite concerned.

We saw her twice more after that, several months later, and the last time she said "she's fine. that was an awful lot of work to do on a perfectly healthy child!" (daughter has a dual dx of pandas and sydenham's)