ACN Latitudes Forums

Mold in the Washing Machine

LNN

I've been struggling with hives for the past 6 weeks that have me crawling out of my skin. Also a slight "asthma" cough I assume is from fall-related mold. The cough is with me everywhere, but the hives only in my house. JJL had mentioned that he had found a lot of mold on the drum of his washing machine. So today I took ours apart (amazingly easy - just find a youtube video). Sure enough, 3 inches of mold and slime at the top of the drum. The area that sits above the water line but gets sprayed with every spin cycle. So it gets wet but not rinsed away or touched by soap. I initially couldn't get the stuff off, but then sprayed it with a spray bottle filled with peroxide and watched the whole area turn white and foamy. It then wiped right off.

So from now on, I'll be spraying the drum with peroxide after each laundry day, which I know won't entirely prevent future issues, but may help. And I'm going to try to remember to take the washer apart twice a year (maybe daylight savings weekends?) to do a good cleaning. I'm not sure it's our only problem. I'm still looking. Won't know I'm "successful" until the hives go away. But I was just amazed at how disgusting a washer drum could get.

Thanks for the tip JJL!

Oh dear.

I think I mentioned it here before, but I used to have a front loader washing machine with a

rubber ring that got black mold-I kept it too long like that before

deposing it and buying a new top loader :-/

Our mold inspection people recommended I buy some Borax detergent

(has an antifungal in it) and wash everything 2x with hot water.

Ok So this thread inspired me to clean out my washing machine at 9 pm tonight! Armed with bleach and gloves I started scrubbing like a total OCD mom. After about an hour of scrubbing and rinsing I felt wetness through my slippers. :( i broke it. Water all over my floor. Big mess. Husband thought I was nuts before, he's really going to love me now. Thought you all would appreciate my mania. This illness is making me crazy.

You are welcome. I found a product called Technofresh that works great with just a little powder in the washer a couple times a week. Here is the link: http://www.technofresh.net/

There are other products on the market, but most have harsh chemicals. The good thing about going this route is that the entire tub as well as the drain line get coated preventing mold buildup everywhere. The site even has a "shock treatment" that can be used if your tub is over loaded with mold.

I had no clue that a wahser could contain mold until I opened it up to replace a part and was shocked at what I saw. This is definitely something to pay attention to. John L

I've been struggling with hives for the past 6 weeks that have me crawling out of my skin. Also a slight "asthma" cough I assume is from fall-related mold. The cough is with me everywhere, but the hives only in my house. JJL had mentioned that he had found a lot of mold on the drum of his washing machine. So today I took ours apart (amazingly easy - just find a youtube video). Sure enough, 3 inches of mold and slime at the top of the drum. The area that sits above the water line but gets sprayed with every spin cycle. So it gets wet but not rinsed away or touched by soap. I initially couldn't get the stuff off, but then sprayed it with a spray bottle filled with peroxide and watched the whole area turn white and foamy. It then wiped right off.

So from now on, I'll be spraying the drum with peroxide after each laundry day, which I know won't entirely prevent future issues, but may help. And I'm going to try to remember to take the washer apart twice a year (maybe daylight savings weekends?) to do a good cleaning. I'm not sure it's our only problem. I'm still looking. Won't know I'm "successful" until the hives go away. But I was just amazed at how disgusting a washer drum could get.

Thanks for the tip JJL!

The problem with the tablets is that they don't address the inside of the rubber rim that gets icky. I have a front loader (about 2 years old) and leaving the door open hasn't helped either. I love my front loader because there is no agitator to ruin clothes and I can get more clothes in my front loader. The downside is the rubber rim though.

You are welcome. I found a product called Technofresh that works great with just a little powder in the washer a couple times a week. Here is the link: http://www.technofresh.net/

There are other products on the market, but most have harsh chemicals. The good thing about going this route is that the entire tub as well as the drain line get coated preventing mold buildup everywhere. The site even has a "shock treatment" that can be used if your tub is over loaded with mold.

I had no clue that a wahser could contain mold until I opened it up to replace a part and was shocked at what I saw. This is definitely something to pay attention to. John L

I had a similar experience with my dishwasher last week. It was smelling after I had run it so I took a paper towel and sprayed vinegar on it and wiped the bottom of the dishwasher inside by the door. A whole bunch of gooey, slimey black stuff came off. I thought I was going to gag. My dishwasher now smells good again after running a load. Ickk....

Thanks for the tip JJL!

Momofgirls made me laugh our loud. Sounds like me sometimes, I jump into a project with such gusto and then I break something!

The tabs for cleaning the washer can be found at big box home improvement stores. The ones I use are called Affresh. Before we knew about cleaning the washer, I would have trouble breathing every time I went into the laundry room. We also use hang up a lot of our jeans and delicates to dry so they won't shrink. The moldy residue was literally hanging in the room. Barf!

Dr C in Columbia even recommended getting rid of the front loaders and going back to the top loader. He is very proactive and antimold!

Cobbie

Is this a problem only for front loaders? Would the technofresh be recommended for top loaders as well?

Michael, The problem is standing water in any type washer, but it is worse in front loaders. We had a top loader and I could not believe how much mold there was. I researched the different types and bought a new top loader. I could have tried the shock treatment, but our mold issue was so bad, I just decided to go with a new washer and use the Technofresh from day one. I never would have guessed that the washer is a hidden mold source but it is so obvious when you think about it. I would highly recommend technofresh or any other type of cleaner that you are comfortable with to continuously keep the washer and drain line clean. Also helps to leave the washer lid open when you are done so it can air out. John L