ACN Latitudes Forums

Seizures/Lyme/Bartonella

My girl had several EEG's that were abnormal, but not seizures. Doctors did not even prescribe medications until I asked for it, to see if it would help her aggression. Does anyones child have abnormal EEG's but not on medications. The doctor said lots of people have abnormal EEG's and are not treated. I am wondering how much of the abnormal seizure activity is linked to the tic born illness. Just wondering if anyone else has similar story with the seizures???? Thank You

My girl had several EEG's that were abnormal, but not seizures. Doctors did not even prescribe medications until I asked for it, to see if it would help her aggression. Does anyones child have abnormal EEG's but not on medications. The doctor said lots of people have abnormal EEG's and are not treated. I am wondering how much of the abnormal seizure activity is linked to the tic born illness. Just wondering if anyone else has similar story with the seizures???? Thank You

Exactly what we were told, and waited quite awhile until we finally got the doctor to try. Yes, my DS has exactly the same thing, and someone else just wrote in about that the other day, too. DS is on Lamictal. It is both an anticonvulscent and a mood stabilizer.

Here's what we found (and we figured part out when he was taken off at a later time to do a followup eeg, and then not put back on immediately.)

The lamictal slowed down the amount of time between non-rage and rage episodes (he would go into a rage episode with no warning, but on lamictal, we had about 1 - 2 minute "warning", which also now gives him time to recognize the change in his mood, and run to his room or wherever.) He was getting ravenous hunger that couldn't be stopped. He would eat for 2 hours straight, and still was ravenous (I don't think it was OCD, because he didn't feel compelled to eat, he was just extremely hungry, and the hunger part of his brain wouldn't shut off.) When he got back off the lamictal, this problem came back, but when getting back on the lamictal, it went away, again.

There's no question lamictal has helped. BTW, he is also on a 2nd anticonvulscent (oxcarbazepine), because the peds. neuro thought that another symptom may be seizure related, too. I suspect this issue with: "everyone has seizures, but it's not a problem" is probably more likely the fact that no one has correlated the problem. In reality, my DS's problems do get dramatically better on medication. In fact, the last eeg we had, showed no seizure activity (whereas the 6 before that had definitely fronto-temporal lobe seizure activity.

So, all that being said...go for the meds. I think it will help.