ACN Latitudes Forums

PSYCHIATRIC MEDS to treat PANDAS/OCD Symptoms

To reduce the anxiety and OCD in PANDAS patients - what medicines have other forum members' children been prescribed? My son is now on 10 mg. of Prozac for the depression/anxiety and it is helping to reduce depression but hasn't yet helped with the anxiety nor OCD. Has anyone's child been on meds for anxiety - we have given my son .25 mg. of Ativan for emergency panic attacks but it can be addictive and I prefer not to treat him with it. Has anyone's child been on Buspar for the PANDAS/OCD? What about Atypical Antipsychotic meds like Respiradone or Zyprexa? Also, what doses of the meds is your child on and what is working to alleviate the OCD and what is working to alleviate the anxiety?

Based on our 6 years of experience with a real bad case, psychiatric medications do nothing food to PITANDs/PANDAS symptoms.

When Risperidon drove her absolutely crazy and mental we did use very low dose of Paroxetin to calm her until the weaning was over. Otherwise, we found helpful with ALL PITANDS/PANDAS symptoms antibiotics (Azith, going on for more than 2 years now), IVIG (cannot get any more), and we are using NAC and Glycine. Improvements are very slow, very small, but they are real.

Bathsheba

We've not done psych-meds. NAC seems to help a little, and a few days we added CEDAC as an anitbiotic. My son had mycoplasma at some point, and I wanted to move to an antibiotic that crosses the Blood Brain Barrier. Its only been a few days, but it seems it is working (knock on wood).

He also had IVIG twice. Everything has helped - but the IVIG was a HUGE help. HIs symtoms are sooo much less than where he was 2 years ago.

I think that Bat-S.. also had mycoplasma? Which is why I'm sharing above info. My son's IgG was 2450 (normal range is under 600 or so) no IgM. So, docs were split as to weather he had a chroinc infrection, or just a very strong response when he had a past infection (so LOTs of antibodies to it).

After some research on it, and the BBB I really wanted something that could cross the BBB - to get at it (if its in the brain), or if he had Lyme (I'm just getting my head and heart around treating Lyme- its a commitment!)

When things were really bad, we tried both Risperdol and Zyprexa; I honestly could not recommend either, unless your child and your family need a break due to consistent high anxiety, sleeplessness, etc. Risperadol at lower doses did not touch our DS's anxiety at all, and at higher doses it literally just put him out; he slept for 18 hours after one dose. In terms of Zyprexa, I absolutely hated that drug; it made DS ravenously hungry ALL the time, and it increased even his daytime urinary frequency dramatically! Honestly, I was afraid he was having some diabetic-type reaction to that one.

We currently use low-dose Zoloft as well as NAC; we see that both help DS manage his anxiety. Nearly a year ago, we also added low-dose lamictal, a mood stabilizer. It doesn't so much seem to lessen his anxiety or OCD as make him better capable of handling it . . . less prone to meltdowns and blow-ups on that.

As always, the key to SSRIs and any other psych meds, if you decide to try, is to start at very low doses and titer up very slowly, as well; generally, it's advised that you give any dose a full 6 weeks before you increase, if you find it appropriate to increase at all. For lots of PANDAS kids, a very low dose is all that's needed to help reduce the anxiety to a manageable level while you get the medical interventions (abx, IVIG, etc.) in play.

We've not done psych-meds. NAC seems to help a little, and a few days we added CEDAC as an anitbiotic. My son had mycoplasma at some point, and I wanted to move to an antibiotic that crosses the Blood Brain Barrier. Its only been a few days, but it seems it is working (knock on wood).

He also had IVIG twice. Everything has helped - but the IVIG was a HUGE help. HIs symtoms are sooo much less than where he was 2 years ago.

I think that Bat-S.. also had mycoplasma? Which is why I'm sharing above info. My son's IgG was 2450 (normal range is under 600 or so) no IgM. So, docs were split as to weather he had a chroinc infrection, or just a very strong response when he had a past infection (so LOTs of antibodies to it).

After some research on it, and the BBB I really wanted something that could cross the BBB - to get at it (if its in the brain), or if he had Lyme (I'm just getting my head and heart around treating Lyme- its a commitment!)

Based on our 6 years of experience with a real bad case, psychiatric medications do nothing food to PITANDs/PANDAS symptoms.

When Risperidon drove her absolutely crazy and mental we did use very low dose of Paroxetin to calm her until the weaning was over. Otherwise, we found helpful with ALL PITANDS/PANDAS symptoms antibiotics (Azith, going on for more than 2 years now), IVIG (cannot get any more), and we are using NAC and Glycine. Improvements are very slow, very small, but they are real.

Bathsheba

hello!

What dosis are you giving her of azith? For how long?

Thanks for your comments...