ACN Latitudes Forums

Allergies

My son was diagnosed with PANDAS 5 years ago. We have been through all sorts of battles with this horrible condition!

He has been great for about 11 months. He is on penicillin, probiotic, nordic naturals fish oil, D, golden seal, multivitamin. He currently does not have strep. He started with a eye tick about a month ago. His glands are huge.

He has horrible seasonal allergies - spring and fall and sometimes summer.

I am convinced that his body has a flare up of PANDAS symptoms when he is fighting allergens. I took him off gluten, dairy and sugars. Hoping to get under control. Back on Andrew Weil Anti-inflamatory diet.

Anyone else see this?

Who is on allergy shots? How else could I boost his immune system?

Thanks for your replies. What would we do without each other?

Alicia

Yes, we see flares with allergies also; in our case, DS is very sensitive to pollen and mold, somewhat less sensitive to dust and cat dander. We do not do allergy shots; rather, we control it with Zyrtec and Flonase during the day, and Benedryl at night. We also refrain from opening the windows (even during nice weather :( ) and running all of our household ventilation through our HEPA and ionic filter system.

Actually, I think that allergies are a hyper-immune response, rather than an immune-deficient response, so I'm not sure "boosting" these kids' immune systems is what we're after. I'm more interested, in our case, in controlling histamine production so that DS doesn't go into hyper-drive when exposed to these allergens.

We have definitely seen an increase in symptoms during allergy season. A great supplement I highly recommend is Querciplex, which contains both quercetin and bromelain. My DD takes 3 capsules bid, which is about 1998 mg of quercetin. When combined, quercetin and bromelain will lower the histamine levels and suppress the inflammation of allergic reactions. I also take Querciplex and am no longer plagued with seasonal allergies. No longer have to take any OTC or prescribed meds for allergies.

When my son was healing, seasonal allergies started. Oddly, the PANDAS symptoms started a few days BEFORE physical symptoms of allergies. His reaction was as severe as a strep induced exacerbation.

Finding the right allergy med is important and can be tricky. Each child reacts different and what seems to help at first can then start to create its own problems.So, chart behaviors when you start any meds.

Finally, remember that people can get allergy induced sinus infections. Sinus infections can really negatively impact a PANDAS chld as well.