ACN Latitudes Forums

"stuck." She spends the whole day just staring at one show over and over. Or obsessing about someone she hates, over and over. Never stops. She is stuck in house and the school is pressuring me to get her there. They don't understand how scrambled her brain is. I hate them sometimes. There telling me that their worried she will fall too far behind, and I am worried that she is so damn confused that she can't get from the house to the car without banging into a tree. THEY JUST DON'T GET IT!!!!

"stuck." She spends the whole day just staring at one show over and over. Or obsessing about someone she hates, over and over. Never stops. She is stuck in house and the school is pressuring me to get her there. They don't understand how scrambled her brain is. I hate them sometimes. There telling me that their worried she will fall too far behind, and I am worried that she is so damn confused that she can't get from the house to the car without banging into a tree. THEY JUST DON'T GET IT!!!!

Do you have an IEP or 504 for her? If not, I would suggest you get one immediately. Also, see if you can get her docs to write letters explaining her disability. I had a huge problem with our school district, and took them to Due Process in the end (it was a nasty, nasty process that lasted 3 years.) We had the docs on our side, and in the end, we finally won a settlement (got him into another school in the meantime that specializes in working with kids who are extremely stressed/anxious (they get the fact that he couldn't learn if he was too stressed to learn.) So, we settled, and then 2 months later, they tried to force him back to the public school...I was able to take them to mediation (didn't need the lawyer for that.) We already had the IEP, and I brought letters from 5 doctors, and spent an hour reading them all out loud. The mediation was over shortly afterwards.

Alternatively, can you homeschool? There's a lot of programs online, and I'm sure there are parents on this forum who better understand what is available out there (we didn't have to resort to that, but would have if we hadn't had the school that we found here.)

DITTO tpotter post. Get a doc's letter stat! And then an IEP or 504. No offense to your daughter, but a couple days at school and they'll wish she was home WHERE SHE BELONGS right now. Every state is different, but most, if not all, have agencies that provide a variety of services like special ed, speech path, autism resource, OT, PT, educational consulting....my husband works for one in this state. They are called Area Education Agencies here. In Nebraska are called Educational Service Units. This is where (again, where we live) to get the process going. Your state dept of education would be able to tell you how to start. Or someone from your state should be able to, also. PM me. You have to call off the dogs asap, before they get weird on you. Don't do nothing, or the school will do it for you if they are of this type of mind-set. We have been fortunate with our school system--they have bent over backwards for us. Dawn

on mood stabilizers, my child can look like the golden child in school. she is soooo stiff and sits in her seat and does not mood for fear of having her world fall apart, so they all think she is perfect. meanwhile she is obsessing about "one" thing all day long and can't learn a thing. and then comes home and is so out of control and psychotic it isn't funny. i have a support system here, but not sure if their tough enough. i will keep you posted.