ACN Latitudes Forums

Zithro Dosage

So Dr. I has called in Zithro prophylactic for the boys. Not sure what dose until I pick it up, but I assume it will by 200 or 250mg pills. Now he tells us he is doing the Swedo prophylactic dose of 2 pills one day per week. Ummmm okay? That means literally two pills one day out of seven. Wth? He was taking 250mg of penicillin every day. I am confused and concerned this is not enough. Any thought?

We are on Zith 250 Mondays and Fridays. I will look it up to be sure but I believe it is okay because of the long half life property. From what I remember it is 11-14 hours when you star. But if you build it up in your body the half life actually gets longer. So once you achieve a steady state, you are covered without re-dosing every single day.

We also increase to daily if we have reason to believe he reaction from exposure.

My thoughts- do full treatment dose until symptoms subside and then cut down slowly until you find the lowest dose that keeps symptoms away. We've done "pulse dosing" with zith and have found what works with my 115lb kiddo is a loading dose of 500mg/day for 3 days, then 500mg every other day to maintain tissue levels. Dr. L told us 2 years ago that 500mg daily is quite safe and used frequently for pediatric AIDS patients.

Our ped neurologist initially suggested 500 mg of azith one time per week as a prophylactic dose, but our ped didn't think that sounded like quite enough so we are on 500 mg two times per week (Mon and Thurs). If ds has a known exposure or there is a lot of strep floating around the school we go to 5 days, giving 500 mg the first day and 250 mg for the next 4 days. Ds weighs 80 lbs.