ACN Latitudes Forums

Another Strep related question

bws

My niece 9, had a period of severe stuttering, that clearly started with a series of strep. She also started bedwetting at the same time. Stuttering was managed with therapy, and with time almost disappeared although it does flare when she has strep. The bedwetting never went away, only while on Zithromax for - you guessed it- strep.

My sister tested her daughter's aso levels; they were significantly elevated although the DNAse B was in normal range.

This past week, my niece has been suddenly stuttering badly. My sister attributed to an oncoming strep. Turn out she did not get strep but her little brother did! After two days of his taking rx, my niece stopped her stutter.

Obviously this is strep related, but to someone else's? And what is my sister to do about this????

Thanks

Are there any other symptoms your niece may have shown before?

With PANDAS, exposure to strep can cause PANDAS symptoms (maybe some symptoms, maybe all symptoms) to reappear.Stuttering is also a symptoms for some kids https://www.aacp.com/Abstract.asp?AID=9159&issue&page=C&UID

As for what your sister can do about it...well, she needs to be vigilant about strep. Just as PANDAS families do. Again, I would be curious if any oterh possible PANDAS like symptoms have ever been present before that could possibly indicate an undiagnosed past flare.