ACN Latitudes Forums

Doxycycline

My son started doxycycline last Tuesday night and had began "herxing" Thursday morning. Does anyone have any thoughts concerning how long the "herx" might last before we see improvement? I was also wondering if 400 mg. is the normal dosage. It seemed a little high to me. My son is 16.

*I'm sorry, I can't answer the herxing, I am on many things, and can't tell what is causing what-

but as far as the dose, I am on 400 mg a day and weigh 104 pounds-

I think it goes by weight.

Are you doing anything for detox, like binders, Epsom salt baths or cream,

exercise in moderation, lots of water drinking...

It does go by weight for doxy and 400 is the typical adult size dose. If you don't have a high enough dose it doesn't work. As for herding it varies from person to person but I think he should see some relief in a few days or a week. Herxing comes and goes. Chlorella also pulls out the deAd Lyme toxins that can keep recirculating in the body and causing symptoms. I saw a dramatic improvement in my eyesight after six weeks of taking 16 chlorella pills a day. Saunas can help too especially infrared saunas. Hang in there! After our long Lyme treatment I learned a lot and if I had to do it over I would have tested emfs in the bedroom at the outset. My sons room was off the charts as it turned out. I also recommend getting an evaluation from a well respected chiropractor/energy healer. You need to be sure his body is not under stress for other reasons. The right practitioner can bring the body back in balance to support the immune system. after our Lyme treatment was over I found this chiropractor who adjusted my son. She said he was twisted at the myo facial level and that this would put the body under a lot of stress. Anyway it's worth checking out because it could lead to a shorter treatment. She told me that it would have explained why it took so long for him to get ris of lyme. Apparently u can get twisted during delivery due to the use of forceps or a vacuum and these practitioners can unwind you, helping rebalance the body. Seems really weird but in my experience the weird stuff usually works. We also just did a hair test on him from analytical research labs that showed imbalances in essential minerals. They sent us supplements to use to rebalance copper, magnesium etc. These are other factors that could have created a weaker immune system for my son but I didn't know these things during his treatment. We did many other things during his treatment though- such as going gluten and dairy free, which helped a lot. Sorry for such a long answer sort of off the subject. I know u r wanting to get ur son well as soon as possible because 16 is a hard age to be sick.

I am on 400 mg a day and weigh 104 pounds-

My son weighs 120 lbs., so I guess the dose is right. Do you take it twice a day? My son does (two 1000 mg. pills, twice a day). I read that a split dose gives more absorption and can therefore cause more herxing.

For detox, we are only doing extra water and high dose vitamin C (3000 mg., but I may increase to bowel tolerance), and curcumin. Probably should look more into this, and I will if symptoms remain. My son also takes ImmunoProbio probiotic (2 per day), enzymes, D-3, Nutrient 950 and Total Omega for KPU, carcinocin (homeopathic remedy)

His herxing isn't that bad. Just hard to watch because herxing for him means increased OCD. It's hard to watch him go backwards.

lyme mom--thank you for your detailed response with many things to consider. We will soon be running a hair test as well as food allergies tests. Hopefully they will give useful information.

Sixteen is a hard age to be sick. But it's actully harder on his dad and me. He's really an amazing child.

Edited by Christianmom

I am on 400 mg a day and weigh 104 pounds-

My son weighs 120 lbs., so I guess the dose is right. Do you take it twice a day? My son does (two 1000 mg. pills, twice a day). I read that a split dose gives more absorption and can therefore cause more herxing.

For detox, we are only doing extra water and high dose vitamin C (3000 mg., but I may increase to bowel tolerance), and curcumin. Probably should look more into this, and I will if symptoms remain. My son also takes ImmunoProbio probiotic (2 per day), enzymes, D-3, Nutrient 950 and Total Omega for KPU, carcinocin (homeopathic remedy)

His herxing isn't that bad. Just hard to watch because herxing for him means increased OCD. It's hard to watch him go backwards.

**Hi, yes, I am taking it 2x a day, along w/Biaxin and Nystatin (for possible yeast) it makes me have unpleasant nausea, so I take it in the middle of breakfast, middle of dinner. But I have nausea frequently.

I see w/my dd (who is not on doxy because of age, but others for lyme/bart) we have days where the OCD comes back, and other symptoms she deals with- I have noticed on the nights before bed when I give her a binder, like a Bentonite capsule, or we also have Cholestyramine powder, the next day seems better. I also have to make sure her bowels are moving, to get the crud out.

We also have some remedies for detox, I am using Burbur for myself, and we have Antitox Gentle Drainage, and Itires for lymph drainage, I take a hot epsom salt bath at night, sweat. I rub epsom salt cream on dd.

Fun times, eh? ;-)

I tell myself, this is just a passage/ time in our lives right now--- not forever.

Edited by S & S

It does go by weight for doxy and 400 is the typical adult size dose. If you don't have a high enough dose it doesn't work. As for herding it varies from person to person but I think he should see some relief in a few days or a week. Herxing comes and goes. Chlorella also pulls out the deAd Lyme toxins that can keep recirculating in the body and causing symptoms. I saw a dramatic improvement in my eyesight after six weeks of taking 16 chlorella pills a day. Saunas can help too especially infrared saunas. Hang in there! After our long Lyme treatment I learned a lot and if I had to do it over I would have tested emfs in the bedroom at the outset. My sons room was off the charts as it turned out. I also recommend getting an evaluation from a well respected chiropractor/energy healer. You need to be sure his body is not under stress for other reasons. The right practitioner can bring the body back in balance to support the immune system. after our Lyme treatment was over I found this chiropractor who adjusted my son. She said he was twisted at the myo facial level and that this would put the body under a lot of stress. Anyway it's worth checking out because it could lead to a shorter treatment. She told me that it would have explained why it took so long for him to get ris of lyme. Apparently u can get twisted during delivery due to the use of forceps or a vacuum and these practitioners can unwind you, helping rebalance the body. Seems really weird but in my experience the weird stuff usually works. We also just did a hair test on him from analytical research labs that showed imbalances in essential minerals. They sent us supplements to use to rebalance copper, magnesium etc. These are other factors that could have created a weaker immune system for my son but I didn't know these things during his treatment. We did many other things during his treatment though- such as going gluten and dairy free, which helped a lot. Sorry for such a long answer sort of off the subject. I know u r wanting to get ur son well as soon as possible because 16 is a hard age to be sick.

Interesting information. Thank you for sharing. We have a whole-body type of chiropractor that I may try. Ds is at least 1/2 way through treatment so wanting to work on his physical body as he becomes more active. He already pulled a muscle on his leg running. On the emf's, we turned off the electricity to my son's room but had not done anything else until recently. Ordered the tester and stetizer (sp?) filters and found the room he hangs out in most of the day was the worst, by far! After installing them (plugging them in) I could feel something refreshing in my sinuses - go figure! We are hoping it will help with healing as well. We are trying lots of 'weird stuff' and hope it is helping. Last visit the dr. shortened his treatment from 2 yrs. to 18 months and said it was because we were doing everything she suggested. She also uses ART testing. Herzing has been minimal for son (except with Artemisin) and he takes 20 Chlorella 3xday (with 3 tabs salmon oil), epsom salt baths, and ibuprophen if needed. We have clay to add in if needed (can also use charcoal but I heard from dr. it is harder to digest).Have also done 2 hair tests. The 2nd one showed higher amts. of heavy metals which initially scared me, but dr. said it was great because it showed he was getting rid of them. On the vitamin end of the test, it showed more vitamin absorption which was also good to see.

Gluten-free really brought the inflammation load down so has been really helpful for my son as well.

During the teenage years it is difficult to tell if the behavior is from meds., illnesses, or puberty! It very frequently is a toss-up.

Also, just started doing methyl B-12 shots.

Edited by JuliaFaith

JuliaFaith -- Did you have your son's methylmalonic acid levels checked? Just wondering as my son's were normal, but I thought on the low side (91 -- (reference range 73-376)). Naturopath feels my son doesn't need B-12 shots, and he does already get B-12 as part of KPU supplement. But part of me says give B-12 shots anyway as it can't hurt (can you tell I'm desperate :) ).

JuliaFaith -- Did you have your son's methylmalonic acid levels checked? Just wondering as my son's were normal, but I thought on the low side (91 -- (reference range 73-376)). Naturopath feels my son doesn't need B-12 shots, and he does already get B-12 as part of KPU supplement. But part of me says give B-12 shots anyway as it can't hurt (can you tell I'm desperate :) ).

Do not see this testing done (on lab reports). Apparently, the methyl B-12 has many uses, i.e., fatigue, anxiety, depression, sleep problems, there are many more... The injection version lasts 4 days where, the tab. form lasts about 4 hours. We are going to try for 2 months and see if son feels any better. Have gone a week so far and the only thing I notice is son is sleeping in more in the morning. Have maybe seen a bit of adversarial reaction as well, i.e., became very argumentative when time for school work one day. Apparently, this is not uncommon in the beginning of treatment.

Hope this helps. Know what you mean about being desperate! Best wishes.