ACN Latitudes Forums

Hyperactivity very high

My son is starting a flare (lost a tooth yesterday) and today hyperactivity is 12 on a scale of 1 to 10. Can't sit keeps running and pacing. How can I give him some relief? Our doc said to increase his Azithro did that several days ago, also using Ibuprofen, I have a script for steroid burst have not filled it but thinking maybe we should try it out. Dr. gave it to us months ago for a previous episode and we chose not to fill it because our DS6 started doing better with adding keflex to the mix. Its Saturday and that is all I have access too. I know his symptoms will escalate fast if I cannot get the inflammation down. I am not sure if a second antibiotic should come before steroids because it is his body over reacting to oral bacteria, and could the steroids make things worse since steroids lower the immune system or is it not the bacteria to blame but just a dysfuntional immune response. I also have augmentin in my cabinet I can mix up from when we switched. I hate playing doctor, but I can't reach doctor until Monday.

Any supplements that will help that I can add to the mix? Currently using Enhansa and magnesium, no b vitamins. Thinking about gving melatonin or benadryl just to relax him a little and give him some relief. Its 2pm.

I also have clonodine in cabinet but I don't want to pull that out yet, because he is still manageing his anxiety pretty well.

Is the hyperactivity due to high dopamine caused by the auto immune response? Urination is like every 8 minutes today. Any suggestions?

I homeschool him this year because of the PANDAS and he was doing pretty well overall, certainly not back to baseline but not too far off either. I knew when I saw the loose tooth I would start seeing symptoms and we are.

If this is your first flair from a tooth, I might wait on the prednisone. For my kids, the flair is worst before the tooth comes out then quickly resolves (w/in 1-2 days) after it's out, once the gum heals. Try giving him manipulatives to keep his hands busy - a squishy ball, a rubber band, let him roll on an exercise ball, chew gum. ADHD kids do well having multiple parts of their bodies busy at once. Especially having something to keep the hands busy. Don't forget the advil for yourself too!

It’s just the tooth.

Don’t give him anything else and let his body work a little.

I know it’s scary, but my son does this every time he catches a cold, or if a tooth breaks though.

I used to want to run for the nearest quick help option, but found it’s best to just let his body adjust.

If it’s just the hyper behavior and you’re sure it’s nothing to do with strep or bacteria.

He’ll come down in about three days.

I’ve been keeping notes, and for (our son) it seems any activation of the immune system (aka a scrape, cold, bite, etc) brings with it a few days of hyperactivity.

I started considering this a good thing, because after waiting with fingers crossed, his body always handles it on it’s own.

With no outside assistance, just the way it should.

I know it’s scary, but giving more medicine is going to cause his body to have to adjust to that again, as well the tooth skin repair.

Still ask your doctor, but this is a common behavior for us as well.

Hope it helps some to make you feel a little better. ;-)