ACN Latitudes Forums

New here

I wanted to post and say Hi! I'm new and will be trolling the boards for a while trying to gain any new information I can. Here is a little background.

My daughter started last year with a shoulder tic. At first we thought she might have a pulled muscle and took her to see the ped. He diagnosed her with a tic, told us to ignore it and it would go away. We did and it did go away. She had three-four episodes that school year where it would come and go.

Fast forward through the summer, no tics. At the end of the summer she woke up with an eye infection and the tics started back up. Looking back, I think this was the trigger. She started eye blinking and it hasn't stopped. I don't know if it was the infection or the stress from it. The eye infection really bothered her because it was very noticeable and her eye swelled up until it was almost closed.

She moves between, eye blinking, throat clearing, a throat noise (not sure how to describe), head tilting, shoulder shrugging, arm jerking, and leg movements. It is really total body but not all at the same time.

We know that stress, tiredness, excitement and anxiety are all triggers for her. We are searching for the root cause.

I'm halfway through the natural treatments book and it is very informative and gives us a lot of hope. I'm very overwhelmed right now though. I don't know where to start, we are in the process of looking for a different dr. I want to pursue the osteopathic path.

We have a neurologist appt in two weeks at the local children's hospital. I'm skeptical. We do not want to pursue medicines but want to do all the we can for her.

Hello,

The book is a great start.

The most important thing for us after the book (and reading up on this website) was to get to a practice that thought outside the box. Unless you have found an exceptional neurologist or have an exceptional pediatrician (I say exceptional in the sense that those neurologists and pediatricians who will point you toward alternative approaches in these cases are truly the exceptions), don't put too much stock into what you learn from them.

Through allergy tests and others like it we got valuable information that helped us modify our son's diet, we also started supplementing magnesium and a potent multivitamin and a couple of other things that we came upon over the course of the past year or so.

Consider also the possibility of infection related issues like strep and Lyme, and toxic molds, all of which could be playing a role with your child.

Congratulations for getting started, and good luck.

Chris

Wow, been busy. I've just now had a chance to get back on here. I wanted to add to my daughter's story. Her tics are definitely stress/anxiety and sleep related. They originally started when she got sick the first week of kindergarten at school. She was so afraid of throwing up again that she developed severe anxiety and then the tics started. She did great over the summer until the eye infection.

In september a little girl in her after school program was being really mean (having trouble sharing friends, jealousy issues) and they were really bad at that time. She didn't understand why the little girl was being so mean and had a hard time with it. She has worked through the emotional aspect of it now.

She has had the strep tests and it came back negative (no strep antibodies). I am really hoping to find an exceptional dr.

Today we are starting a milk elimination diet to see if we notice a difference and plan to do the challenge on saturday. We have already tried wheat and there was no difference at all.

Something that I have noticed is how much more tired she is now after a day of school especially when she has bad tic days. Her little body is just no exhausted from moving all day long.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to post and say Hi! I'm new and will be trolling the boards for a while trying to gain any new information I can. Here is a little background.

My daughter started last year with a shoulder tic. At first we thought she might have a pulled muscle and took her to see the ped. He diagnosed her with a tic, told us to ignore it and it would go away. We did and it did go away. She had three-four episodes that school year where it would come and go.

Fast forward through the summer, no tics. At the end of the summer she woke up with an eye infection and the tics started back up. Looking back, I think this was the trigger. She started eye blinking and it hasn't stopped. I don't know if it was the infection or the stress from it. The eye infection really bothered her because it was very noticeable and her eye swelled up until it was almost closed.

She moves between, eye blinking, throat clearing, a throat noise (not sure how to describe), head tilting, shoulder shrugging, arm jerking, and leg movements. It is really total body but not all at the same time.

We know that stress, tiredness, excitement and anxiety are all triggers for her. We are searching for the root cause.

I'm halfway through the natural treatments book and it is very informative and gives us a lot of hope. I'm very overwhelmed right now though. I don't know where to start, we are in the process of looking for a different dr. I want to pursue the osteopathic path.

We have a neurologist appt in two weeks at the local children's hospital. I'm skeptical. We do not want to pursue medicines but want to do all the we can for her.

My 7 yro daughter also suffers from tics. They began when she was 4 and still going on. They range anywhere from eye blinking, licking lips, head nod, cough, clear throat, shoulder shrug, sniffing hand, arm jerk, mouth gaping, etc. Wow it makes me sad seeing all the ones she has gone through. I tried taking her off milk altogether, seemed to help. Got her on magnesium and fish oil. I think its importasnt to keep our girls stress free. Keep me updated on your progress!!

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds SO much like my DS 6. Everything started with the 5yo vaccines :( Wish I could go back in time. Definitely gone down since that spring but still have lingering things that come and go and I wish they would all go away! He too is worse at the end of the day when tired or when excited/stressed or esp. when being talked to in a "concentrated" way.