ACN Latitudes Forums

vitamin D

i seem to remember some discussion of possible ill effects of supplementing vitamin D ??? obviously, in select individuals, many studies etc for the general population. anyone have any such experience? i kind of/sort of remember a discussion a while ago. at the time, thinking ds7 was having more troubles when i was giving him that but it was long ago -- at least a year or two -- so could have been many things.

2 weeks ago, i attended a talk with a DAN and asked her thoughts about flu mist everywhere. she suggested vitamin D is good for everyone for staying healthy in flu season. i thought 'oh yeah' and began drops again with both boys. last thurs, likely a week-ish after hit or miss vitamin D, ds9 is doing a throat clearing/grunting thing that i think is a tic. no history of tics; he's been doing great for many months. this past weekend, i wondered about a vitamin D link.

anyone have thoughts? thanks.

hmmmm? now this is interesting....i have never heard of anything bad about vitamin d...but, my non pandas son was taking it for about 5 months and started a throat clearing tic about 1 month into it....then the last 3 weeks he stopped taking it (we ran out) and he started the eye blinking? He has no history of tics, but I was thinking it was because he was sick and maybe he is on the road to pandas if not caught early???????

I don't have any specifics, but I have the same impression. DS was once a ticcer. Not sure where I got the impression, but there are two things I have in my mind that I shouldn't be giving him - D and Omega 3s - and I have no idea why. Just something I made up my mind about early on.

Now, as I look into methylation and pyroluria, I see that pyrolurics can have out of whack Omega 3/6 balances and may actually be the rare group that needs less Omega 3 and/or primrose oil in lieu of Omega 6. So maybe I read something a long time ago and it resonated without me really knowing why. But it seems to be a good decision for my DS. I guess that's a hazard of googling too much about too many things :wacko:

Can't really tell you what to do. Just wanted to tell you you have company.

my son tested low on vit D on Quest labs and we started supplementing 2000iu daily a month ago I see no side effects. But I am supplementing my younger son who is the rager with bad ocd. My older pandas is the ticcer and I am not supplementing him he tested in the normal range.

WE don't have any issue with it - but my DS tested slightly low (just like 90% of the population apparently) before I started to give to him. I was tested to in a yearly physical exam -seems the docs are regularly testing everyone for this - and I was also low. We do drops on occasion - probably 3/4 times a week, I'm trying to do more now that cold/flu season is here. I've never noticed any side effects. I put two in his cereal when I think of it (kind of like Vit D roulette - did he eat that bite of cereal/mild where it landed?!).

If you child has issues with it, perhaps he/she has gut or liver issues or some inability to process it OR fats (it is fat soluble, and needs suffient fat to work), or maybe they already have enough? Also interesting that LLM's son the same with Vit D and fishoil - I know at least codliver oil was used as Vit D supplement, and I think I've read that reason most northern Europeans (and all northers like Eskimos and Canadians, Russians) who don't have much sunlight, usually have a diet very high in fatty fish - thats were they're getting the Vit D in lieu of sunlight.

Here is a god summary I can across:

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind