ACN Latitudes Forums

guttate psoriasis and strep- pandas

My dd (age 3) was diagnosed with PANDAS last fall; it's been a long haul trying to clear her of symptoms. She has four older siblings and we find time and time again that the siblings have elevated ASO titers with no strep symptoms. I have bouts with guttate psoriasis, which is normally triggered by strep. I'm wondering if anyone out there has this condition and if you think it is a signal of strep carriage...? I'm trying to convince my own doc to test my ASO because my symptoms seem to fluctuate with dd pandas symptoms and sibs elevated ASOs. I have this feeling that if my doc put me on abx it would help my dd. We worked with Dr. T last spring but have lost touch with him. He was not too concerned about my condition and I'm having trouble convincing anyone there might be a connection. Anyone else have guttate psoriasis?

Thanks.

Interesting post. I do not have it but my husband developed it last year. My son obviously had strep at the same time since his titers were elevated a couple of months afterwards when he started having an episode and also had the flu. I did not think about the carrier aspect. I will have to put that on my list of questions for my next doctor appt. I might also see if I can get my husband to run his titers so we have an idea.

My dd (age 3) was diagnosed with PANDAS last fall; it's been a long haul trying to clear her of symptoms. She has four older siblings and we find time and time again that the siblings have elevated ASO titers with no strep symptoms. I have bouts with guttate psoriasis, which is normally triggered by strep. I'm wondering if anyone out there has this condition and if you think it is a signal of strep carriage...? I'm trying to convince my own doc to test my ASO because my symptoms seem to fluctuate with dd pandas symptoms and sibs elevated ASOs. I have this feeling that if my doc put me on abx it would help my dd. We worked with Dr. T last spring but have lost touch with him. He was not too concerned about my condition and I'm having trouble convincing anyone there might be a connection. Anyone else have guttate psoriasis?

Thanks.

Who are you currently working with to treat your dd's PANDAS? I would definitely ask that dr, because if you are a carrier, you need to get it treated. If you are working with someone like Dr. B., you can always set up a consult for yourself, too, and get those answers. It's certainly a good question.

sww817- Has your husband cleared from the guttate psoriasis? From what I've been reading it is usally triggered by strep, and is uncommon after age 30... keep it in mind, especially if your husband flares when your kiddo has pandas symptoms.

Thank you for your reply

Edited by MaineMaMa

Hi TPotter- We were working with Dr.T in NJ, but I do think we'll check with Dr. B he sounds really good. Dr. T knew about my condition, and I told him I was flaring back in March when my dd 3 was way ramped up with pandas symptoms. He readily admitted not knowing much about it... but he did put my whole family on abx due to the sibling elevated titers, and several family members testing + for mycoplasma. No surprise my skin cleared up after the abx.

Waiting to see my dermatologist, who can't see me until December. I see my regular doc this week and hope she can push me into the derm with a referral, or that she'll investigate this herself.

Thank you for the reply!

• 2 years later...

Thanks.

I see this is an older post. I would like an update if you have one. My son's Tourette's is no doubt PANDAS and there is a huge strep issue with him. I too was dx with TS as kid, and have a long hx of strep infections. I am either a carrier, or just repeated infected. I have had guttate psoriasis patches (scant) on and off for years. Sadly, I have never had an MD make a connection with any of it. I'm an RN, and have spent years researching our conditions. The psoriatic patches, strep, PANDAS, TS.... If I have a patch, sure enough, my son is ticcing more. If anyone has strep around him, he tics more. If he has dragon breath, it's a sure sign of strep...and he's ticcing more. It's undeniable. I think it's a real testament to your physicians lack of awareness that he or she isn't impressed by your obvious s/s of strep (g psoriatic patches). If you are a carrier, you no doubt are part of the PANDAS circle on at least one level, probably more. I suggest finding a doctor to treat your strep infection or carrier status. Or, take the oil of oregano tabs. They are as effective as RX meds for strep I understand. There seems to be a good amount of info on this site/forum about natural treatments for strep.