ACN Latitudes Forums

Metametrix complete GI stool profile back

Here are my son's results that were high/low/positive. I would appreciate anyone's comments. Thank you.

Yeast/Fungi:

1. Yeast/Fungi taxonomy unavailable -- +4 (very strong positive) (this is not the normal candida yeast)

Parasites:

1. Necatoramericanus (hookworm) -- Positive

2. Parasite present; taxonomy unavailable -- Positive

Beneficial SCFA:

1. Total SCFA -- 29 -- Low

2. n-Butyrate -- 4.5 -- Low

3. Acetate -- 48 -- Low

4. Propionate -- 34 -- High

Inflammation:

1. lactoferrin -- 4.1 -- High

Immunology:

1. Fecal sIgA -- 148 -- High

Digestion:

Elastase 1 -- 291 -- Low

Not sure about all of these tests, but one of the first things our ND did was to do a treatment for parasites/worms. In 11 mos. my son has been thru 2 of those treatments.

Before we came to the present doctor, my son's last doctor had him on curcumin to keep inflammation down as much as possible. I believe this kept him from getting more ill (not better, but not worse).

Good you are getting some information that can be instrumental in getting treatment started.

Best wishes.

Not sure about all of these tests, but one of the first things our ND did was to do a treatment for parasites/worms. In 11 mos. my son has been thru 2 of those treatments.

Best wishes.

Thank you. Wishing you well too.

Did the parasite/worms treatments help? Do you mind sharing what the treatments were?

Hi, we had this same test run in August. I was very pleased we didn't have terrible bacteria showing, like

kleis., clostridia, and strep in the gut.

However, what I was really looking forward to, what is awesome about this test, is that it has

a DNA component that will tell you what herbs and antibiotics, anti-fungals will fight the type of infection that is showing for that person.

So, when I also got back on dd yeast+4 (highest possible) but said:

Unknown (and then it said: possible mold) With no listing of what could fight it,

my heart sank. All the anti-fungals we had tried. I've known yeast has been an issue.

So, mold is a possible issue for us, other tests pointing to it, as well.

Just had our house inspected, on cholestyramine, etc.

Not saying this is your case! I am interested to hear what your Dr. says....

We did a round of Itraconazole, which is an (the only?) anti-fungal that may hit mold, now on

Byron White A-FNG (herb anti-fungal) and Amphotercin B.

If what you posted are the only things that came up, I'd say your looking pretty good except the yeast issue-

you may also get a recommendation for a digestive enzyme.

Sounds like all your good bacteria is there, that's great.

So, when I also got back on dd yeast+4 (highest possible) but said:

Unknown (and then it said: possible mold) With no listing of what could fight it,

my heart sank. All the anti-fungals we had tried. I've known yeast has been an issue.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Don't know if you have read this on the Metametrix site where they explain how to interpret this test. This is what it says (the bold is mine):

"Uncommon yeast/fungi is present, and one that likely colonizes other animals, or has not been identified as pathogenic to

humans. Infection with Candida, Rhodotorula, Geotrichum, Saccharomyces, and Trichosporon species have been ruled out. If

present at +2 or below, it is likely that this yeast is transient due to ingestion of molds or other yeasts, and is not problematic to

humans. Consider patient symptoms before treating.

Treatment Options:

Reduce intake of refined carbohydrates and sugars

• If presentation is consistent with a fungal infection, use antifungals followed by prebiotics and probiotics

• Avoid FOS powder as it may feed the yeast

Address other abnormal results on the GI Effects test first, with the expectation that rare yeast/fungi will be

crowded out when healthy conditions are restored"

Would ingested mold (say from bad cheese or something) be different than mold you find in your home? Did your daughter test positive for mold? We have not had the proper c4a complement test done yet--should be done this week. So I don't know if my son has mold or not.

Do you have any thoughts on the "hookworm" and the "Parasite present; taxonomy unavailable?"

Here is what Dr. T said about the hookworm:

"I haven't seen hookworm associated with PANDAS symptoms before but from all we know that inflammation in general can trigger, and that hookworm is a chronic infection, it's certainly worth a try. We have seen beneficial effects of treatment of yeast in some children. I think with all that (my son's) been through it is a no-brainer to try to treat these."

He called in a prescription for albendalzole for the hookworm and diflucan for the yeast. But my naturopath wants to try to treat these naturally first, so I won't fill the prescriptions until after my appointment with him on Friday. I'll try to post what he says.

My phone just ate a reply I typed, hope this doesn't show up twice.

We had a yeast issue starting 3 years ago, when I figured out my dd had a leaky gut, which I treated for a long time with diet change, GF/CF, nutrition, supplements, and natural herbs. No prescriptions until a year ago...No antibx. I would pull OAT tests from GP Lab. and it would show yeast, strains known.

Our Metx. test did show a lot of good bacteria (probiotics) that have lined her gut and stuck- and yet this high yeast can still be present.

Ours came back 'parasites present, unknown' and couldn't name them, which I hear is common. I think these are important to treat...Dr. agrees for sure, we are treating.

On the mold, I am no expert. My own testing, which was the clear postive lyme and bartonella, C4a came back sky high- even if the lab was running high, mine was outta sight.

Dr. said could be my chronic lyme, or mold, HLA test can show us?

Now, my dd, who has had massive blood, urine, and some hair testing, had some recent non-evasive testing (which I would rather not explain) which indicated mold as a big issue for her--- so her and I are treating with the Questran powder, she is going to get the HLA gene test, which will determine more for us.

The house came back very good/fine- the garage has an issue, under the water heater/stand, which we now will pay for to have it replaced/mold effectively eradicated all around it.

We did an air test to see if it is coming in the house, either way, we are fixing it.

As to the mold foods----I don't know.

Honestly, I am so overwhelmed, and so done with the money spending (I am sure you can relate.) I don't want to learn more about it on my own at this point.

Please do share what you find out, thank you.

Edited by S & S

Did the parasite/worms treatments help? Do you mind sharing what the treatments were?

1. First 2 days only:

a. Biltricide - 1 tab 3xday with meals for 2 days.

2. Two weeks immediately after biltricide:

a. Ivermectin - 6 mg 4xday between meals for 14 days. TAke during same time as pyrantel pamoate - see b.

b. Pyrantel pamoate - 500 mg 1xday at bedtime for 14 days. Take during same time as ivermectin.

3. Two weeks immediately following ivermectin and pyrantel pamoate:

a. Albenza - 1 tab 2xday with meals for 14 days.

4. Two weeks immediately following the Albenza:

a. Alinia - 250 mg 2xday with meals for 14 days.

This is one of Klinghardt's protocol in case your interested. They are also all prescription meds. Alinia is an abx and does quite a few other things as well.

Just looked at notes for last Dec. and it looks like energy level slowly climbed after 3 weeks into this protocol. He felt a bit worse on Albenza for 1st 3-4 days but then back to higher energy and feeling better.

Edited by JuliaFaith

He called in a prescription for albendalzole for the hookworm and diflucan for the yeast. But my naturopath wants to try to treat these naturally first, so I won't fill the prescriptions until after my appointment with him on Friday. I'll try to post what he says.

OK, I'm quoting myself. That's weird! Anyway, the albendalzole treatment for hookworm is only two days, 4 pills. My husband thinks it is worth going the drug way instead of using herbs, etc. because the treatment is so short and hookworm can be very serious. Anyone have thoughts about this? Thank you.

Ok - I told myself it was time to take a break from posting but here I am. I know this is not relevant to hookworm, but wanted to say that when my daughter had Giardia, she had SEVERE neuropsychiatric symptoms. She was VERY defiant & oppositional. I can't recall what symptoms you are dealing with your son, but it may be something worth treating. Again, I know nothing about hookworm though.

Ok - I told myself it was time to take a break from posting but here I am. I know this is not relevant to hookworm, but wanted to say that when my daughter had Giardia, she had SEVERE neuropsychiatric symptoms. She was VERY defiant & oppositional. I can't recall what symptoms you are dealing with your son, but it may be something worth treating. Again, I know nothing about hookworm though.

Thank you for responding. My son's only symptoms are OCD. He was asymptomatic for strep as well. One of the reasons we have had so much extra testing done is because OCD seems to my son's way of telling him he is sick. He NEVER has any other symptoms and appears to be in excellent health--doesn't even have allergies. So perhaps this hookworm thing is causing at least part of my son's OCD. I'll post how it goes.

Where do you go to get the tests?

Here is direct information about the test- from here, a Dr. has to order it-

http://www.metametrix.com/test-menu/profiles/gastrointestinal-function/dna-stool-analysis-gi-effects

If you would like to get the test done without a Dr.'s signature, have the kit sent to you directly, you send it back, results sent to you- you may order it here, for a higher cost:

https://www.mymedlab.com/autism/gi-effects-complete-stool-mmx2100

Where do you go to get the tests?

Here is direct information about the test- from here, a Dr. has to order it-

http://www.metametrix.com/test-menu/profiles/gastrointestinal-function/dna-stool-analysis-gi-effects

If you would like to get the test done without a Dr.'s signature, have the kit sent to you directly, you send it back, results sent to you- you may order it here, for a higher cost:

https://www.mymedlab.com/autism/gi-effects-complete-stool-mmx2100

How much of a higher cost? Roughly, how much would you save going through a doctor? thx - looks like a great test.

That is a good question- not sure of the actual cost savings, depends on your Doc, I think.

I was impatient, and ordered the test on my own without my Dr. (didn't want to wait until our next phone consultation, this is when I was working w/our previous treating Dr.)

Anyway, when I sent over to our Dr. the test results, he told me he could have ordered the test for me and saved me some money.

I do think it is an excellent test- to get a print out of what herbs, antifungal prescript. and antibx prescript. work best for the individual, plus I learned a thing or 2 I had no idea was going on---

Not very fun to send back to the lab, tho :-/ (Eww, that was rough. But, other stool tests make you collect and send it 3 different samples- this one comes with 3 different test tubes with chemicals, you go off of 1 sample. I did pull my dd off all supplements for the 3 days ahead of time required.)

Edited by S & S