ACN Latitudes Forums

seeing signs of PANDAS/PITANDS in younger son 2.5yo

ANRmom

I thought impetigo was weepy lesions. Are you guys telling me it can look like small pimples?

Yes, my kids have had impetigo 3 times...each time it looked like teenage pimples--red bumps. Some of them had a center some didn't. No weeping at all.

This is a revelation to me!!!! My DS has had "pimples" on his face in the past. Just little pink things. They never weeped or crusted over or even broke open. Just eventually went away. Do you think that was impetigo? Strep impetigo? DS has never had strep throat. We've been sort of looking for the strep. He had an ear infection and we thought maybe that was caused by strep, but all this is in hindsight. Since we've known he has PANDAS, we have not caught him w/ strep nor has he shown titer rises. Of course, he's been on abx since dx. Interesting.

This is a revelation to me!!!! My DS has had "pimples" on his face in the past. Just little pink things. They never weeped or crusted over or even broke open. Just eventually went away. Do you think that was impetigo? Strep impetigo? DS has never had strep throat. We've been sort of looking for the strep. He had an ear infection and we thought maybe that was caused by strep, but all this is in hindsight. Since we've known he has PANDAS, we have not caught him w/ strep nor has he shown titer rises. Of course, he's been on abx since dx. Interesting.

It could have been, but if they didn't spread or itch--it might have just been dry skin or something else too. When I've noticed it, it was 2 on one day, then 6 the next -- and the kids complained that it itched (or I was telling them to stop itching). Our ped told us skin infections are usually strep or staph. Strep is a faster moving infection than staph..If you ever see them again, ask your doctor to swab them for strep. A few times our ped has done that. Once it was negative and he said it was then staph, so he sent out for a MERSA culture (thank God that was negative!)