ACN Latitudes Forums

Draft strep notification letter

I searched and couldn't find a sample of a notification letter. I kick myself, because our day care sent one out when we were first dx, and I can't find it ANYWHERE now!

Anyway, I drafted a new one - tried to keep it short and sweet...just to notify that there's a defciency, a 100,000 foot overview and what conditions need to be reported to the teacher...anything I should add? I'm trying to keep it short and sweet so the parents actually read it and pay attention.

Thanks!!

Dear Parents,

We have been recently informed that a student in Mrs. X's kindergarten class has been diagnosed with an autoimmune condition called PANDAS (Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal Infections). When children who suffer from PANDAS be come sick or exposed to a strep infection, the immune system mistakenly launches an attack on the basal ganglia of the brain, causing a variety of neurological symptoms. Infections other than strep can also trigger this immune response; however, strep is the most severe.

All forms of the Group A Strep bacteria may trigger the immune response, in addition to strep throat; impetigo, tonsillitis, pneumonia, peritonitis, scarlet fever, and sinusitis are all common illnesses that may be caused by the Group A Strep bacteria that can impact a PANDAS child.

It is important for the family of this child to be alerted when there is reason to suspect strep in the classroom. If your child is being treated for a strep infection of any kind, or you suspect a strep infection, we kindly ask you to notify Mrs. X. This information will then be used to notify the PANDAS child’s family so that appropriate precautions or steps may be taken.

Please be assured that your child’s personal or medical information will not be shared, nor will they be identified.

We thank you in advance for your cooperation, we understand that this requires a certain amount of effort and diligence on your part, and we thank you in advance for your cooperation in helping us maintain a safe, healthy environment for all of our students. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at the school.

I searched and couldn't find a sample of a notification letter. I kick myself, because our day care sent one out when we were first dx, and I can't find it ANYWHERE now!

Anyway, I drafted a new one - tried to keep it short and sweet...just to notify that there's a defciency, a 100,000 foot overview and what conditions need to be reported to the teacher...anything I should add? I'm trying to keep it short and sweet so the parents actually read it and pay attention.

Thanks!!

Dear Parents,

We have been recently informed that a student in Mrs. X's kindergarten class has been diagnosed with an autoimmune condition called PANDAS (Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal Infections). When children who suffer from PANDAS be come sick or exposed to a strep infection, the immune system mistakenly launches an attack on the basal ganglia of the brain, causing a variety of neurological symptoms. Infections other than strep can also trigger this immune response; however, strep is the most severe.

All forms of the Group A Strep bacteria may trigger the immune response, in addition to strep throat; impetigo, tonsillitis, pneumonia, peritonitis, scarlet fever, and sinusitis are all common illnesses that may be caused by the Group A Strep bacteria that can impact a PANDAS child.

It is important for the family of this child to be alerted when there is reason to suspect strep in the classroom. If your child is being treated for a strep infection of any kind, or you suspect a strep infection, we kindly ask you to notify Mrs. X. This information will then be used to notify the PANDAS child’s family so that appropriate precautions or steps may be taken.

Please be assured that your child’s personal or medical information will not be shared, nor will they be identified.

We thank you in advance for your cooperation, we understand that this requires a certain amount of effort and diligence on your part, and we thank you in advance for your cooperation in helping us maintain a safe, healthy environment for all of our students. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at the school.

Are we sure it is not contagious? I just wonder since many people on this forum have multiple family members (usually siblings) with PANDAS.

I wonder if it is the particular strain of strep (more pathogenic???) or a genetic factor that makes one more susceptible.

Do we have concrete info on this?

An active infection is contagious. Autoimmune disorders are not. PANDAS is an autoimmune disorder.

Multiple siblings may have PANDAS due to a genetic factor.

The strain of strep may play a factor but not evey child will have that autoimmune reaction.

Even after the infection is erradicated, the PANDAS child still has PANDAS symptoms. Our kids are taken very fast,but it can be a while to get them completely back. Once the child is in remission and PANDAS symptoms free (and infection free), the child still has PANDAS....just in remission.

I've had in my household all three kids with strep at the same time, but only the PANDAS child showed the autoimmune reaction.