ACN Latitudes Forums

ADD/ADHD Meds

Momto2

Does anyone know if there are any meds that are used for ADD or ADHD that would not cause tics or make them any worse? My daughter was diagnosed with a tic disorder almost 5 years ago. I am concerned my daughter may have ADD, but I don't have that confirmed yet. I think we will be heading down the path of testing for it soon. I would prefer not to have to put her on any meds, but I just want to be prepared if/when the subject comes up.

Thanks!

Amy

Do be careful as many of the ADHD meds actually are known to trigger tics

perhaps there are now some on the market for ADD that don't so this

We found increasing Omega3 and adding gingko biloba really helped my son's ADD (he does not have ADHD ie no hyperactivity, only attention deficit

Amy, are you careful with diet?

http://www.oneaddplace.com/add-diet.php

- Chris

We do watch her diet as far as not consuming artifical colors, sweeteners, etc. She does eat dairy products. We tried Omega3 at one point and she didn't do well on it - seemed even more fidgity. As I mentioned, I really don't want to use meds, but I just want to educate myself about them.

Thanks for your input.

Amy

• 1 month later...

Our child psychiatrist said that recent studies indicate that tics are NOT made worse by stimulants. She said the reports are mixed.

My son has tics (from PANDAS) and takes Metadate (30mg daily) and it has not increased the tics. Every child may be different, not sure.

good luck.

adkmom

from lyme board

PANDAS tics are not necessarily in the same category as other tic disorders

I know of a number of children who were given Ritalin or Adderall for ADHD and developed tics after starting those meds, as well as kids diagnosed with TS who also have ADHD and found the tics increased on stimulant meds and decreased when stopping those meds.

If the results are "mixed" I would suggest it is because of the root cause of the tics being variable, not because "tics are NOT made worse by stimulants"!!!! IMHO a child psychiatrist should make such a broad statement, especially with all the anecdotal evidence that points to the contrary

Does anyone know if there are any meds that are used for ADD or ADHD that would not cause tics or make them any worse? My daughter was diagnosed with a tic disorder almost 5 years ago. I am concerned my daughter may have ADD, but I don't have that confirmed yet. I think we will be heading down the path of testing for it soon. I would prefer not to have to put her on any meds, but I just want to be prepared if/when the subject comes up.

Thanks!

Amy

My Neuro has just given me his blessing to try nicotine patches (lowest dose)- good for tics and ADD. Go to google scholar and look for research. "Nicotine patches and tics." "Nicotine patches and ADHD." Reportedly, there is no risk of nicotine addiction, either. Has been fairly well researched. My neuro said he used it quite often in the 1990's with no adverse effect but sorta got away from it as more and more and newer ADHD meds came out. My son just does not tolerate any of them. We tried 4 different stimulants when DS was almost 9 (now 11.5)and they all caused intolerable tics and worsening OCD within 10 days of any medication tried. Concerta, Focalin, Vyvanse and Dexadrine.

911RN - Can you give more specifics regarding the nicotine patches? I have read about the studies, but had no idea there were doctor's actually prescribing it. I have one son with tics & another with ADHD. My son with ADHD did very well on Strattera until he hit puberty. They are both on only supplements at this point.

Also, to answer the original poster. It is my understanding that Strattera & Intuniv are the medications least likely to exacerbate tics.

Anyway, I'm very curious about the patches. Hope it works out...

Lynn

911RN - Can you give more specifics regarding the nicotine patches? I have read about the studies, but had no idea there were doctor's actually prescribing it. I have one son with tics & another with ADHD. My son with ADHD did very well on Strattera until he hit puberty. They are both on only supplements at this point.

Also, to answer the original poster. It is my understanding that Strattera & Intuniv are the medications least likely to exacerbate tics.

Anyway, I'm very curious about the patches. Hope it works out...

Lynn

Not sure I can give you much more than what the studies show....used lowest dose patch... 7mg. Can be kept on 24 hours but you may choose to only do use it for school and/or to get throught homework and remove to give the nicotinic receptors a "break." Yes, doctors actually prescribe them. They are over the counter, now, so you don't even need a prescription. My neuro told me to put one on over a weekend to see how he did before trying it on a school day.

My son used Intuniv for a year- he petered out on effects after about 5 months and he still had tics the last half of the year while on it. Was causing waay too much fatigue at the end. Falling asleep in class etc. 1mg or 3 mg- didn't matter. He got over the initial fatigue with Intuniv- did well- then it returned. He has never taken Straterra but we started Prozac this summer- in June- on 20 mg, now. It has helped for tics and mild OCD. Don't know that it has been that helpful for ADD. Some help but not enough?? Why I asked doc about the patches.

Docs says that people are reluctant to give nicotine patches a try because of the "stigma" associated with nicotine and smoking and fear of addiction potential, however, he said he used it a lot in the 1990's and kids did well?? The actual act of smoking and damage it causes to lungs is the main danger with smoking- not actually the use of nicotine as a 'drug' or medication. Not much different than caffeine-quite similar actually- except that nicotine has a longer half life and we have a good delivery system with the patches since they were developed as a quit smoking aide. Good even control with patches for delivery so one should not have highs and lows. Short of drinking coffee/sodas- we don't have that type of available delivery system with caffeine (yet:). Caffeine can cause the up then the "crash and burns."

Neuro also suggested use of nicotine gum- however, that has to be chewed a specific way or it can cause GI upset. I think you are supposed to chew and "pocket" it in gums until 'needed' again (for smokers). Not sure my son would chew it right and don't want him to get upset stomach using that. I would rather use the patches. We are lowering Lamictal a bit from 200 mg to 100 mg. Ordered for abnormal EEG (has never had a seizure).He is on his second 50 mg decrease- will watch for 4 weeks and if everything is OK- plan to try the patches then.

I have read some recent comments from docs about folks that use nicotine gum for years after using it to stop smoking. Folks stopped smoking but never went off the gum. Docs said they agreed with this process and did not see any negative long term effects. Said the use of the nicotine gum was far healthier and good alternative than folks returning to smoking?? Is it a form of addiction? I guess- somewhat. Argument can be made for that, I suppose. But, no different than someone that has to have a coffee in the morning or else gets a bad caffeine withdrawal headache.

I don't think that the nicotine patches can we viewed any different or less favorably than stimulant and amphetamine medications! Which, are powerful medications, require a prescription and are controlled substances. If my son tolerated them- he would likely be on one if it helpd him in school. However, he doesn't so I'm willing to think a little outside the box and Neuro gave me his blessing to try the patches. Google about nicotinic receptors- may get more info you find useful??

That's all I can say- HTH!

Isn't there an age restriction on the use of nicotine products?

I have looked at several of the research articles and the youngest age I have seen given is 13. Although, many of the abstracts on Tourette's and use of Nicotine patches/gum do not give ages. Would have to find entire article for subject data.

There is lots of research on adults- use of nicotine patches for tics, adult ADHD and Tourette's- in smokers and non smokers. While we are not in a TS type situation- there is much research with those that took Haldol for TS of getting entirely off this med and/or reducing dosage greatley with use of Nicotine patch.

Of course, as with any med- I would run this by a child's doc before just starting him on Nicotine patch for tics, ADHD or TS. As I posted earlier- out Neuro gave his blessing for a trial:) My son is 11.5 and adult weight although not in chronological years.

My son did sooo well (initially) on stimulants for ADD sxs- he told me the first time in his life he felt smart. Teachers were amazed. Total transformation in a child. Then he flipped out at the each 10 day mark with any stimulant tried (4). Had to be stopped due to severe adverse, intolerable effects- sad and heart breaking! Sooo, I'm willing to give it patches a try if it will give him an edge so he can have the feeling of being smart again! He IS smart- it's just not being allowed to come out due to blasted neuro-chemical processes that are faulty in his brain!

Sorry, that's all I could find with cursory search. You will have to google deeper for younger age than 13.

I was referring mostly to the legality of any nicotine product for an underage child.

From what I can see 12 is the legal age limit for patches or gum, 18 for cigarettes....but it may vary from state to state

Personally I would be very careful with nicotine but that is just my opinion as a reformed smoker....gave up over 25 years ago and very thankful for that! I realize medical use may have its benefits, although nicotine itself is still considered a poison

I was referring mostly to the legality of any nicotine product for an underage child.

From what I can see 12 is the legal age limit for patches or gum, 18 for cigarettes....but it may vary from state to state

Personally I would be very careful with nicotine but that is just my opinion as a reformed smoker....gave up over 25 years ago and very thankful for that! I realize medical use may have its benefits, although nicotine itself is still considered a poison

I never considered a "legal age" question but that is something to consider?? After having discussed it with Neuro and receiving his blessing, his statements he had used it with children in the 1990's- I just assumed if it was prescribed by MD it would be OK and legal?? I understand what you are saying about nicotine- I touched on some of the stigmas surrounding use of this in previous posts. Nicotine is technically classified as a stimulant. Although, all these drugs, on some level, could be called "poison" in my view. Wish we did not have even consider any of these for a child, last of all, my own.

Thanks, the information was helpful & interesting. My son with tics is only 6 and in the scheme of things he is mild. So, it would be a while before considering patches for him, if we ever have to. But I never read anything about it helping for ADHD, but it makes sense. I actually started giving my older son a coffee drink every morning at the end of last year & the teachers saw a difference in his attention. So, although it goes against everything I've researched for "natural" approach - I sure don't think it is any worse for him then meds!

Looking forward to hearing how the patches work for your son. Good luck & thanks for the response.

Lynn