ACN Latitudes Forums

I feel awful on doxy

the first week or two, i felt great on this doxycycline, but now i feel awful. I ache worse then ever. I heard that I would get worse at the beginning and then better, but i did not hear that i would feel better and then worse. i can't even get off the couch. any advice. motrin is not helping.

**Wanda, I am rather new to Lyme treatment myself, just started Doxy and Bactrim, after 6 weeks of Levaquin, I feel deep fatigue settle over me, too. And nausea.

What are you doing for detox? My Dr. seems to be big on this, I am exercising 30 minutes every day (not high impact),

doing a hot Epsom salt bath at night for 15-20 minutes to sweat out, taking binders to bind to junk and die off, and stuff to make sure my bowels are moving,

probiotics, and a gentle drainage and a lymph node remedy.

I know it's a lot, it is, but I believe it's all helping. I also still drink cup and a half of coffee every day (cut down), and I do take a cat nap on the couch after the 2 older kids have left for school.

Hi Karen,

I had told my Dr. I had never been into high impact (high cardio) exercise, but I did walk the hills in the residential streets in my neightborhood, 30 minute walk.

He thought that was perfect, and actually asked me to do it 2x a day (! No, I couldn't) but I do it every single morning. Althouth, it has started to rain, so just recently I lock myself in my master bed (leave DH out with the kids in the morning) I have some DVD's with some very light weight training- starting back I used no weights or just my 3 pound dumbells. I could only go 20-25 minutes.

According to Burrascano MD guides:

PROGRAM:

1. Aerobic exercises are NOT allowed, not even low impact variety, until the patient has recovered.

2. Conditioning: work to improve strength and reverse the poor conditioning that results from Lyme, through

a whole-body exercise program, consisting of light calisthenics and/or resistance training, using light

resistance and many repetitions. This can be accomplished in exercise classes called "stretch and tone",

or "body sculpture", or can be achieved in the gym with exercise machines or carefully with free weights

(see cautions above).

3. Each session should last one hour. A gentle hour is preferable to a strenuous half-hour. If the patient is

unable to continue for the whole hour, then decrease the intensity to allow him/her to do so.

4. Exercise no more often than every other day. The patient may need to start by exercising every 4th or

5th day initially, and as abilities improve, work out more often, but NEVER two days in a row. The nonexercise

days should be spent resting.

5. This whole-body conditioning program is what is required to achieve wellness. A simple walking program

will not work, and simply placing the patient on a treadmill or an exercise bike is not acceptable (except

very briefly, as part of a warm-up), as aerobics can be damaging and must be avoided.

Burrascano says walking is not okay, but it felt okay to me, even while on Levaquin and my legs had all kinds of twitches and weird muscle pains. It never left me exhausted, and I thought it helped keep everything circulated.

the first week or two, i felt great on this doxycycline, but now i feel awful. I ache worse then ever. I heard that I would get worse at the beginning and then better, but i did not hear that i would feel better and then worse. i can't even get off the couch. any advice. motrin is not helping.

Hi Wilma. I've been on doxy since around June. I had an immediate improvement on it but then felt awful too. I hated just about everything about it except it did help my brain think more clearly. But I did get used to it and now it's not causing much trouble. Using the heating pad, warm baths or my sauna usually help with herxing, but I found that the doxy made me sensitive to the heat so I could not use them for a while. I hope you figure out what can help you. Did you ask your LLMD?

Susan