ACN Latitudes Forums

Antibiotics

hootie

My son had a sinus infection in April took ceftin...PANDAS symptoms started in July.

My son has had antibiotics only three times in his 14 years. His eczema got worse with amoxicillin, he got sores on his hands after using ceftin for only three days.

He used zithromax once we realized he had PANDAS without a problem (but no positives either).

I guess we need to avoid penicillin type antibiotics now.

So...what is the best abx to use if you think the strep is in the sinuses?

His knee is swollen as well...doc has ordered tests to determine if rheumatic fever is an issue.

My son had a sinus infection in April took ceftin...PANDAS symptoms started in July.

My son has had antibiotics only three times in his 14 years. His eczema got worse with amoxicillin, he got sores on his hands after using ceftin for only three days.

He used zithromax once we realized he had PANDAS without a problem (but no positives either).

I guess we need to avoid penicillin type antibiotics now.

So...what is the best abx to use if you think the strep is in the sinuses?

His knee is swollen as well...doc has ordered tests to determine if rheumatic fever is an issue.

That's great that your doc is checking for rheum. fever. Also, our orthopedist said he found 15 people recently with Lyme, because he was able to test the synovial fluid in these people who came into his office with sudden swelling in the joints. Insurance could not argue...it was a definitive test. Just thought I'd mention it.

The doc he is seeing knows much about Lyme and she has already checked for it....negative. Plus, the treatment that he is getting would address Lyme, too. The other day she did say that she is fairly certain that Lyme is not an issue.

Thanks for mentioning!

So, how long did he take Zith for? No improvements at all? Sinuses can be very tricky and you can need longer antibiotics for bad infections. My kids have needed 20+ days of abx for bad sinus infections. my one child was on two antibiotics at once for another nasty one.

You could try a cephalosporin like Omnicef. At least 20 days, a month if you can. 10 days won't clear it.

Will your child use a Neti Pot? That may help.

Also, they sell Xylitol nasal spray online. That may help too.

Edited by Vickie

We have had the best luck with clindamycin.

My penicillin allergic, and non allergic pandas kids used it for strep. It is often used to treat a carrier state. We did a course of 10 days.

We have to use something after the antibiotics to calm the immune system. Steroids have worked well.

Thanks! I just want to have abx in mind for possible future exposures ( hopefully not...but you never know... and kids seem to get sick when

The doc you trust is unavailable).

Right now he is using some herbs and oil of oregano sinus spray. It looks like his titers are showing that strep may be on it's way out. Monday

We should have more results back.to find out for sure.

He is still having some symptoms but they are slowly going away. I am not at the stage where I want to try steroids as I am afraid it will cause more problems

In the long run.