ACN Latitudes Forums

Supplement scheduling

LNN

I'm starting to add some minerals/vitamins into our schedule and need to be mindful of timing. For instance, I want to add magnesium but it needs to be taken away from antibiotics. Taurine is best on an empty stomach. CORE is supposedly best away from food but you also want to take it several times a day rather than all at once....With school taking away a large chunk of time and clay at night, my window for scheduling is narrow.

Does anyone know of a site or resource that tells you when to take particular supplements? (with/without food, with/without a complimentary mineral). Also looking for ratios - e.g. zinc:copper should be 10:1, calcium:magnesium 2:1 - 4:1 etc...

Any help greatly appreciated.

Hi, I'm sorry, I don't know any good websites like that- just wanted to add I have never heard taurine needs to be taken on an empty stomach- I used to supplement that one a lot- I just added it to the mix.

I also have a very complicated supp/medication schedule with dd, with different binders, antibiotics, probiotics, herbs, questran powder, I have to give her something for her bowels to move--

I sat and brainstormed over the weekend, and the only way it will work is if I wake her at 4:50 a.m. (set my iphone) with a syringe full of supps and a drink chaser, and also at 9:00 p.m. with a capsule and water-

Sounds crazy, but she did go right back to sleep both times last night when I did it- she took the stuff.

I figure hey, I am spending all this money, we are really sick, this is how it is for the next year, months, or so.

Not really much help, but I am having to wake my child for this all to work :-/

Well, we may be looking at a lot of mid-night wakings if we head toward chelating, but for now, trying to avoid it. They get up at 6:30, so I do have the ability to shove a pill in them about 30 min before breakfast. The taurine between meals is from the label (NOW Foods 500mg). I know Cutler mentions the with/without food issue sometimes. His book should arrive tomorrow - I have mixed feelings about reading it.

The CORE label doesn't say anything about the meals issue but I think I read that zinc should also be away from food - the pyroluria group suggested a half hour before a meal. What really kills me is the clay, because it removes the bedtime meds slot and school - oh how much easier it is in the summer when you can dose at lunch or 2pm. Driving myself nuts right now. I know I'll get it figured out, but already have a growing cabinet of half-used supplements. Trying to not pee away money by giving stuff at the wrong time.

Is your school refusing to cooperate, or are you not willing to involve them? My kids take a bunch of supplements/vitamins at first break, and medication at second break. There is no possible way I could schedule everything in without the school's help. The school just asked me to sign some forms and it was no hassle at all. But we are also at a small country school with just over 100 kids, and no school nurse. Everyone knows everyone, and they all know we have lyme, so maybe we're just lucky in our school situation. They have journeyed with us through juvenile bipolar, PANDAS, and now lyme, and have seen the transformation in my son from a child who refused to speak in JK to a boy who missed 88 days last year and could only attend for 2.5 hours at a time, to now attending full-time and thriving. He's hardly the same kid, and they are excited to help in any way.

Is it possible your school would help? DS8 had major sleep issues in the past, so I wasn't willing to disturb his sleep pattern, which is finally normal. If the school couldn't help I was prepared to homeschool just so we could stick to the medication and supplement schedule. That's how desperate I was!

I hope you can find a way to fit everything in. I don't know of any websites with the info you are looking for. I read all our labels and wrote out all the particulars in a chart, and then pieced them together into a schedule. And then when I was finally done I went back over everything and still found a mistake (had 1 supplement at dinner that needed to be without food). It's a lot to keep straight, but after all that work now all we need to do is stick to the schedule (easier said than done some days!).

Funny - I was just working on a chart, reading labels of all their supplements, and read your response while taking a break. I'm just going to have to piece together a supplement plan as best I can. Can't really account for what they may get in their diets.

The school has been helpful in the past. I just need to list whatever they'd have to take on a form and get the doctor to sign it. But they have to go to the nurse's office to take each pill. They cannot just pop pills at the lunch table (which I understand). So that makes DS feel singled out and "sick", and we already battle a "sick kid" self-perception. So I hate to make him do that. He did it for a month last year to take probiotics and he hated it. Back then, the nurse gave me weird looks about probiotics (she had never heard of them!), so I really don't want to have to go there again if I can avoid it. The school is generally supportive but the nurses tend to be judgmental. They are trained to think daily abx is harmful to the herd. Plus DS is missing a lot of school so far, and coming home early several times due to not feeling well. I explained KPU as a zinc deficiency and how his immune system is waking up and I got a semi-understanding but wary look from the nurse. I'd rather not get her involved with our business.

For now, picking them up at dismissal with "Hi Honey, how was your day? Are you buckled in? Good - Take these pills." is working.

We have an LLMD appt in a few days (for which I have to pull him out of school). I'm putting together a chart and we'll go from there.

Same here - as soon as my dd is buckled, I'm shoving something down her throat...the car line can wait. I have the opposite - our school nurse is very cooperative and understanding of the antibiotics for lyme. She knew all about PANDAS and chronic lyme before I even mentioned it. There is a second nurse though, whom gives me the evil eye. I tried having my daughter go to the nurse for a probiotic, but like your son she felt singled out. You also run the risk of your child catching an illness...so wasn't thrilled about that. I now put a packet of probiotic in her lunch box for her to rip open and shove in her mouth. Can any of the supplements be added in the morning to food or liquid (like jello or pudding)in his lunch box, or will he only take pills?

Good luck with your chart!

It has taken me 3 days to refine dd's schedule, we have to take Amox. 3x a day, probiotics, herbs, binders, empty stomach, you all know the drill.

I had to get our school involved, get the form signed, for them to give antibx at lunchtime.

We have a new nurse this year, I was cranky from an OCD hair blowout before drop off,

the nurse wanted to go over details about our 504 we put into place last year, for this year, for pandas, so far we haven't needed any of it.

Anyway, dare I say it, I was a B.

Over the last few days, I've realized they want to help, our Dr. wrote 'Lyme' for the dx portion of the form he sent back to the nurse,

so I did acknowledge that in an email, that I sent to thank her for helping my daughter.

It is what it is, welcome to 2011, right?

And they are going to make sure dd gets her medicine after lunch.

My dd has no issue/qualms about having to do this.

Clothes and haircuts, ISSUES, but not this so far.

And they are going to make sure dd gets her medicine after lunch.

My dd has no issue/qualms about having to do this.

Clothes and haircuts, ISSUES, but not this so far.

lol - sorry, had to laugh. DS can pitch a 3 day fit over a sock not feeling right, therefore can't put on a shoe, therefore can't leave the house, and the world stops turning!!! But he doesn't mind going to the office to take his meds either. Let's count our blessings, right? ;)

I almost posted the same question so I hope you get an answer soon, a website or book on the subject would be so helpful.I too would rather not involve the school,dd7 would have a hard time "walking all the way to the office by her self" and I have a feeling I have some kind of "crazy Mom" reputation because Ive mentioned things they "dont see" or things they have never heard of-Im trying now to not say anything I dont feel is absolutely necessary now I already send probiotics that she takes at first break.She just started sleeping better, and I wonder if disturbing her sleep even tho she does go right back to sleep is good for her?But its starting to feel like thats the only time left for the things "on an empty stomach".Do you know anything about iron supp.? It says on empty stomach,but Im wondering if it needs to be away from antibiotics,or other supplements? Yes,we definatley could use a book or website on all of this-thank goodness we have this forum! Angela

I wonder if this website would have what you are looking for? I found a link to them on the mayo clinic website. Looks like they have a pretty comprehensive database including charts and tables. You can't get info without subscribing. I wonder how expensive it is and if it would be worth it?

http://naturalstandard.com/

May I please ask if any knows this answer?

The herbal tinctures: A-Bart, A-Bab, Bar-1, and so forth....

Since they are 'fighters' against infections, do they have to be given away from

probiotics like antibiotics?

(I am hoping for the answer no.)

Thanks!

Edited by S & S

Momcap - looks like a great find! Wish I could tell pricing without having a sales rep contact me :(

S - sorry - I don't know the answer. We used A-Bart for a short time - gave it at dinner along with abx, which of course was away from abx. You may be able to call Byron White and ask - they may be the more definitive source than the LLMD (and maybe easier to reach!).