ACN Latitudes Forums

wart removal: need advice

JJMOM - Not sure if this is the same medication but it sounds like it. Our 12 year old son (PANDAS) just had this done and he did fine. The warts were around the same area - the beds of his fingernails. The dermatologist froze them first, then injected them with the medication (the injection was painful). The dr. said it would take a couple of treatments. I could tell his skin was starting to peel close to the end of the 3 week mark. We went back again in 3 weeks for another round of freezing and injections ( they said it would at least take 3 rounds for the warts to be gone). Once he received the 2nd round, they started really bad and most of the warts are gone. He goes back Monday for another round and hopefully this will be the last one.

I was the same as you . . .as soon as he mentioned "Immune System" my ears perked!!!

At the time of the his first wart treatment he was just finishing up a short steriod burst (usually has to do once a year). Dr. said it might just require him to do an extra treatment since steriods suppress the immune system, but that it should be fine.

His hands look soo much better! Glad we did it.

Good luck! Michelle

Thank you all again for the many thoughts and ideas. I am feeling much more positive that we can get rid of ds's warts without the squaric acid or the other more invasive procedures. We had been using duct tape since the beginning of the summer and it had helped some, but ds will not keep it on all the time. It gets in his way when he is writing, and he will also remove the tape so that he can pick his finger! That is why we abandoned that method. Last night I decided to try apple cider vinegar since we had it on hand and I wanted to start something since his warts are getting big again. I had read that a.c.v. might cause pain and throbbing because the acid interferes with the capillaries that feed the warts, but this didn't sound like it would be a major issue. Well, less than 2 hours after I wrapped his finger with the vinegar-soaked gauze, ds was sobbing in pain. He said his finger felt like it was going to explode it was throbbing so badly. I gave him some motrin in hopes that it would help him get through the worst of the pain, but he could not tolerate it. We had to unwrap his finger and now there is no chance he will try the a.c.v again. Has anyone else experienced pain with this method??? It's a shame because today the warts are much smaller and have already started to turn black. I believe they would go pretty quickly if we were able to keep with it. But now we will move on to one of the other suggested remedies. I will let you know how it all turns out!

mk8898--I think the squaric acid our dr. recommended must be something different from what was used on your son's warts. Squaric acid is a topical agent so it's not injected. I wonder what was used for your son? If you find out I would be interested to know. thanks!

Ok, its not the same as a blistering agent. The blistering agent causes the wart and skin around the wart to blister. This causes the body to send its agents to the area to attack it and get rid of it. Left no scar. It did not hurt DS. The freezing did. He was not quite 5 at the time and just gritted his teeth and took it. Two months later, ear infection and PANDAS. Our lives have never been the same.

I have to ask something that may sound odd. I am fairly new to this all.....are you saying that PANDAS did not start until after the blistering treatment at the Derms office? Is there a connection there? Curious because my ds had the same thing done (blistering agent) in Dec and January the PANDAS stuff started for the 1st time just out of the blue it seemes, not that we knew at the time what was going on though.

Ok, its not the same as a blistering agent. The blistering agent causes the wart and skin around the wart to blister. This causes the body to send its agents to the area to attack it and get rid of it. Left no scar. It did not hurt DS. The freezing did. He was not quite 5 at the time and just gritted his teeth and took it. Two months later, ear infection and PANDAS. Our lives have never been the same.

I have to ask something that may sound odd. I am fairly new to this all.....are you saying that PANDAS did not start until after the blistering treatment at the Derms office? Is there a connection there? Curious because my ds had the same thing done (blistering agent) in Dec and January the PANDAS stuff started for the 1st time just out of the blue it seemes, not that we knew at the time what was going on though.

I am curious about this also. Nicklemama you said your ds had an ear infection and then PANDAS, a couple of months after the blistering agent treatment. Do you think there is any connection, or do you think the PANDAS was a result of the ear infection?

And MaggieMoons, did your ds have any illness that could have a connection with his PANDAS symptoms? I don't know why there would be a relationship to the blistering agent, but it does seem curious...

I know this sounds like black magic, but the thing that worked the best for us was putting duct tape over the wart and leaving it there (replacing as esthetically necessary.) The warts were gone in about a week. BTW, on one occasion, warts appeared as a result of gradually increasing olive leaf extract and vitamin C to get at viruses. As we increased the dose, the warts appeared, then left a few days later. Didn't use the duct tape on those.

We had success on two warts on my daughter's feet with the duct tape-crazy I know. But painless-left them on until they fell off and then reapplied. It's been 2+ years and I've never seen them again!

I am curious about this also. Nicklemama you said your ds had an ear infection and then PANDAS, a couple of months after the blistering agent treatment. Do you think there is any connection, or do you think the PANDAS was a result of the ear infection?

And MaggieMoons, did your ds have any illness that could have a connection with his PANDAS symptoms? I don't know why there would be a relationship to the blistering agent, but it does seem curious...

Yes, my ds has a long history with Strep and resistant ear infections etc. He also would get these "bumps" on his thighs only and they tested positive for strep 3x and were treated in OH with ABX like a regular strep infection. Fast forward to Florida, bumps again, ped here doesn't believe it is strep and gives me a cream...this went on 5-6 times, one ped even told me to give bleach baths....??? Crazy stuff. So I went to a derm doc and she gave me yet another cream! No one would test the "bumps" but I know they were a form of strep as my OH ped had shown through the test. What is it with docs just wanting to triage so to speak instead of finding out what is wrong! He has been getting these "bumps" for almost 3 years now on and off and they NEVER completely go away! December--he had another outbreak of the "bumps" and no ABX given, and then Jan the PANDAS!

LOL, I never made the connection until I read your reply. Yes, that is exactly the time line. Dec wart removal. Jan ear infection, then some milder PANDAS symptoms that we totally did not recognize. He was irritible and difficult for a few months. If he had OCD, I cannot say. I don't remember any but I really did not understand OCD in kids. He was given Flonase at the same time as the ear infection and we thought maybe that was the cause of his behavior. We stopped the Flonase several months later and the behaviors subsided as well. Turns out, that was coincidental. Dr K told us this milder episode was his first PANDAS episode. We had no idea what was brewing and how that would explode in Oct of the same yr. Dr K believes strep caused the ear infection but we have no concrete proof of that. I really don't think the wart removal and blistering agent caused the PANDAS.

• 5 weeks later...