ACN Latitudes Forums

wart removal: need advice

My ds9 is a compulsive skin picker. He picks the skin around one of his fingernails, and this has resulted in some nasty warts. We went to the dermatologist today to have them frozen off, but the dr. recommended that we consider another form of treatment. Because the warts are right next to the fingernail he said freezing would not be as effective because there is no way to get into the skin fold. Most of the warts will be affected, but they could return because of the areas not exposed to the freezing. Instead he recommended using a substance called squaric acid. This is method of removing warts is considered "immunotherapy." Squaric acid provokes an allergic reaction and triggers the immune system to destroy the virus causing the wart. It takes several applications over several weeks and each application requires a higher concentration of the squaric acid. After the initial application the immune system goes to work to remove the warts and the virus that causes them. Hearing the dr. say "immune system" was a red flag for me. I am not thrilled with anything that will stimulate the immune system. I told him ds has PANDAS and he said he had heard of it but wasn't really familiar with it but that he would look it up and let me know what he thinks. This dr. happens to be married to our ped, and he said he would discuss it with her also. She has been great in helping us treat ds, but ds is her first PANDAS patient so she is not an expert by any means. I called ds's neurologist to get her take, and her response was not at all helpful. She said she is not familiar with this method, but if it is what the derm is recommending as the best route then that is what we should do; and if there are consequences "we will just have to deal with the consequences." Then she said he is being treated for PANDAS and on prophylactic abx, so he should be okay. That makes no sense to me--I don't see what the prophylaxis has to do with his immune system being stimulated to remove warts! And I'm not willing to deal with any potential consequences, especially since she probably doesn't have a plan for what that would look like. When I looked up squaric acid online there are things that discuss potential downsides of the treatment. The potential downside is that after the use of squaric acid "the immune system may trigger a serious allergic reaction." And, "it is not to be used by pregnant women as the allergic reaction that is provoked by the immune system may harm the fetus." None of that sounds good to me! I think we would be safer going with the freezing method or laser method, even if there is a chance they will come back. Am I overreacting?? I'm just not sure if the immune stimulation will be a bad thing or not. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

My ds9 is a compulsive skin picker. He picks the skin around one of his fingernails, and this has resulted in some nasty warts. We went to the dermatologist today to have them frozen off, but the dr. recommended that we consider another form of treatment. Because the warts are right next to the fingernail he said freezing would not be as effective because there is no way to get into the skin fold. Most of the warts will be affected, but they could return because of the areas not exposed to the freezing. Instead he recommended using a substance called squaric acid. This is method of removing warts is considered "immunotherapy." Squaric acid provokes an allergic reaction and triggers the immune system to destroy the virus causing the wart. It takes several applications over several weeks and each application requires a higher concentration of the squaric acid. After the initial application the immune system goes to work to remove the warts and the virus that causes them. Hearing the dr. say "immune system" was a red flag for me. I am not thrilled with anything that will stimulate the immune system. I told him ds has PANDAS and he said he had heard of it but wasn't really familiar with it but that he would look it up and let me know what he thinks. This dr. happens to be married to our ped, and he said he would discuss it with her also. She has been great in helping us treat ds, but ds is her first PANDAS patient so she is not an expert by any means. I called ds's neurologist to get her take, and her response was not at all helpful. She said she is not familiar with this method, but if it is what the derm is recommending as the best route then that is what we should do; and if there are consequences "we will just have to deal with the consequences." Then she said he is being treated for PANDAS and on prophylactic abx, so he should be okay. That makes no sense to me--I don't see what the prophylaxis has to do with his immune system being stimulated to remove warts! And I'm not willing to deal with any potential consequences, especially since she probably doesn't have a plan for what that would look like. When I looked up squaric acid online there are things that discuss potential downsides of the treatment. The potential downside is that after the use of squaric acid "the immune system may trigger a serious allergic reaction." And, "it is not to be used by pregnant women as the allergic reaction that is provoked by the immune system may harm the fetus." None of that sounds good to me! I think we would be safer going with the freezing method or laser method, even if there is a chance they will come back. Am I overreacting?? I'm just not sure if the immune stimulation will be a bad thing or not. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Have you thought about using Olive Leaf Extract? My non Pandas son came home from college this past summer with 2 warts on his elbow. I had heard that Olive Leaf would get rid of the warts, so he started taking 3 capsules daily. He noticed the warts started shrinking within a week and within 3 weeks they were gone!! Some people have said that the warts come back after discontinuing the Olive Leaf, but his never did. It would be a much safer alternative.

I would second the Zymaderm recommendation. My friend used it to rid her kids of molluscum. The dermatologist was amazed at the results.

Is the squaric acid a blistering agent, by chance? My DS had a huge wart on his knee (prePANDAS). The ped froze it and used what she called a blistering agent to "aggravate the area so the body would help rid itself of any wart left after being frozen". She said we might have to come back a few times but all it took was once w/ the combo of freezing and blistering.

Thanks for the input, everyone! My ds has been taking Olive Leaf for several months, not for the warts but as part of his general supplement regimen. I have not noticed any change in the warts since he started taking it. I am going to look into Zymaderm and/or thuja.I don't know if he will be able to tolerate the 5-6 freezing treatments the dr said it would take if we go that route, and the idea of the squaric acid is not sitting well me with.

Nickelmamma, you asked if the squaric acid is a blistering agent. I'm not certain--in the information I read it's called a "contact sensitizer." When it is applied to the skin it sensitizes the immune system to react and go to work on the virus and the warts. I'm not sure if that is the same thing as a blistering agent or not.

Ok, its not the same as a blistering agent. The blistering agent causes the wart and skin around the wart to blister. This causes the body to send its agents to the area to attack it and get rid of it. Left no scar. It did not hurt DS. The freezing did. He was not quite 5 at the time and just gritted his teeth and took it. Two months later, ear infection and PANDAS. Our lives have never been the same.

I've also heard of a couple of other remedies...but can't say I've tried them.

I've heard that oil of oregano is very effective and can help within a couple of days.

From: http://www.wildoiloforegano.com/index.php?page=usage

Warts can be treated by applying the Oil of Oregano directly to the wart with cotton wool. It is best to leave the soaked cotton on the wart as long as possible by taping with adhesive. Repeat this 2 or 3 times a day and take 3 drops under the tongue three times a day for a few months. Planter's warts can be successfully removed in a few days by applying the oil directly to the wart several times daily. It may help to break the surface of the skin to allow the oil to penetrate to the root of the wart.

Oil of Oregano is also supposed to boost the immune system, but my feeling is that would be if you take it orally (so maybe you could skip the under the tongue part...). I know I've seen treatment without that recommendation.

A friend of mine also said green banana peels helped her daughter...taking a small piece and covering the wart overnight.

Here's a link:

http://wartsguide.com/banana-skins-as-a-wart-removal-therapy

I'm thinking these are both pretty benign approaches you could try before giving another medication that may possibly interfere with PANDAS.

We used apple cider vinegar for my 11 year old son's warts. Soak a little piece of gauze with vinegar and apply to the wart with a bandaid to hold it at night. In a few days it turns black and usually falls off within a week. It works every time for him.

I know this sounds like black magic, but the thing that worked the best for us was putting duct tape over the wart and leaving it there (replacing as esthetically necessary.) The warts were gone in about a week. BTW, on one occasion, warts appeared as a result of gradually increasing olive leaf extract and vitamin C to get at viruses. As we increased the dose, the warts appeared, then left a few days later. Didn't use the duct tape on those.