ACN Latitudes Forums

Hepatic encephalopathy

The milder slow progressing symptoms are what interest me as it relates to the liver being overloaded by toxins.

"Hepatic encephalopathy is a worsening of brain function that occurs when the liver is no longer able to remove toxic substances in the blood"

Symptoms many begin slowly and gradually worsen, or they may begin suddenly and be severe from the start.

Symptoms may be mild at first. Family members or caregivers may notice that the patient has:

•  
  • Breath with a musty or sweet odor
  • Change in sleep patterns
  • Changes in thinking
  • Confusion that is mild
  • Forgetfulness
  • Mental fogginess
  • Personality or mood changes
  • Poor concentration
  • Poor judgment
  • Worsening of handwriting or loss of other small hand movements

More severe symptoms may include:

• Abnormal movements or shaking of hands or arms
  • Agitation, excitement, or seizures (occur rarely)
  • Disorientation
  • Drowsiness or confusion
  • Inappropriate behavior or severe personality changes
  • Slurred speech
  • Slowed or sluggish movement

Reading this reconfirms the need to detox while treating Lyme et al. We are currently using different detoxes for various areas of the body or organs... most recent Apo-HEPAT for the liver.

-Wendy

Edited by SF Mom

The milder slow progressing symptoms are what interest me as it relates to the liver being overloaded by toxins.

"Hepatic encephalopathy is a worsening of brain function that occurs when the liver is no longer able to remove toxic substances in the blood"

Symptoms many begin slowly and gradually worsen, or they may begin suddenly and be severe from the start.

Symptoms may be mild at first. Family members or caregivers may notice that the patient has:

•  
  • Changes in thinking
  • Confusion that is mild
  • Forgetfulness
  • Mental fogginess
  • Poor concentration
  • Poor judgment

• Disorientation
  • Slurred speech

Reading this reconfirms the need to detox while treating Lyme et al. We are currently using a varied of detoxes for various areas of the body or organs... most recent Apo-HEPAT for the liver.

-Wendy

We used APO-Hepat or Renelix at different times. On their own, with no other detox methods, per doctor. Seems to be handling it.

Edited by laure

Something else to add..... did a little further investigation.

As part of this woman's gut cleanup, I gave her a new treatment pioneered by Dr. Mark Pimentel, of the University of California at Los Angeles School of Medicine.7 A nonabsorbed antibiotic called Xifaxin clears out abnormal bacteria in the small bowel. I expected her bloating and even some of her inflammatory symptoms to clear up by fixing her gut. But I was surprised by what she told me after she took the antibiotic.

Overnight her OCD disappeared; after years of unsuccessful treatment with psychotherapy and psychiatric medications, she was suddenly able to clean her entire house and pick up everything off the floor. The lights in her brain had come on for the first time in ten years.

A high level of ammonia in her blood caused her OCD. Ammonia is a neurotoxin that excites and damages brain cells and the mitochondria (the site of energy production in all cells). Bacteria in the gut produce ammonia, and when the liver can't detoxify it or there is just too much, it causes brain damage.

Every physician knows this because since the 1960s doctors have been treating a condition known as "hepatic encephalopathy,"8 a form of temporary insanity common in patients with liver failure. The brain dysfunction results from too much ammonia and is cured by clearing out the ammonia-producing bacteria in the gut with antibiotics. So this idea shouldn't seem strange to most doctors.

But it occurs in many patients–not just those with liver failure.

When we rechecked her ammonia level after treatment, it had returned to normal. After a few months, the bacteria came back and so did her OCD symptoms and her high ammonia level, and once again treating the bacteria cured her OCD. The link was clear.

Edited by SF Mom

Philamom: I definitely thought of you when reading this particular information. I stubbled upon it when reading about 'Xifaxan'... I think liver toxicity is something all our kids deal with due to chronic infection and now the obvious over lap of symptoms as it relates to the liver. I had no idea it was tied to ammonia levels and the brain though. Regardless it just reconfirms to me the need to be on some type of detox regimen especially for the liver.

Apo-Hepat is something we added when older DSs liver enzymes where climbing. We also started to treatment for Babesia at the same time. Everything has since resolved.

-Wendy

Edited by SF Mom

•  
  • Changes in thinking
  • Confusion that is mild
  • Forgetfulness
  • Mental fogginess
  • Poor concentration
  • Poor judgment

• Disorientation
  • Slurred speech

Reading this reconfirms the need to detox while treating Lyme et al. We are currently using a varied of detoxes for various areas of the body or organs... most recent Apo-HEPAT for the liver.

-Wendy

We used APO-Hepat or Renelix at different times. On their own, with no other detox methods, per doctor. Seems to be handling it.

laure- I tried to send you a pm but it declined -- is your box full?

My son's ammonia came back high from Quest, and his DAN said could be gut bugs or Mito issue. We know from his severe gastro issues that it is gut bacteria because he responds well to two antibiotics at once vs one. Recently started FLagyl we will see how things go. The DAN said the best way to get out ammonia is poop it out but sons bowels are so slow with all the biomed treatment we are lucky to get one bm a day. This is very interesting. He was diagnosed PANDAS because of his history of strep but now he gets exacerbations with any exposure to infections or viral. I was bit by a cat and contracted an infection several months before I got pregnant with him and now am wondering if this is LYME.

Okay, thanks.

What test checks for ammonia levels?

Thank you for sharing this SF Mom. I will check dd's ammonia levels at her next blood draw in a few weeks. When we last checked it in June it was at the high normal level.

I had it done at Labcorp:

Ammonia, Plasma

The DAN said the best way to get out ammonia is poop it out but sons bowels are so slow with all the biomed treatment we are lucky to get one bm a day.

hmmm - very interesting. i just posted something about odd seafood-like breath smell i've noticed on my ds on pandas board. i noticed it on thurs and stronger on friday. i have in the past noticed it but as a passing thing. i think he's doing very well medically - and actually, quite well behaivorally but with intense school anxiety/phobia. we've had trouble keeping him him 'flowing' as far as bm because of recent busy schedule -- not so consistent with probiotic and CALM magnesium, that are usually helpful and busy schedule with activities.

it had been a number of days w/o pooping for him and he did last night. today, i do not smell that smell on his breath. interesting connection that i'll have to watch.

thanks for the info!

My son's ammonia came back high from Quest, and his DAN said could be gut bugs or Mito issue. We know from his severe gastro issues that it is gut bacteria because he responds well to two antibiotics at once vs one. Recently started FLagyl we will see how things go. The DAN said the best way to get out ammonia is poop it out but sons bowels are so slow with all the biomed treatment we are lucky to get one bm a day. This is very interesting. He was diagnosed PANDAS because of his history of strep but now he gets exacerbations with any exposure to infections or viral. I was bit by a cat and contracted an infection several months before I got pregnant with him and now am wondering if this is LYME.

The fact that he responds so well to two antibiotics may be suggestive of Lyme as well. Lyme is usually treated with a combo of antibiotics, especially if one is dealing with tick-borne co-infections, like Bartonella, as well. My daughter went thru a year 1/2 of antibiotics and 3 ivig's before finding lyme. It wasn't until a combo of antibiotics were prescribed that we begun seeing the most improvement in her symptoms.

The fact that he responds so well to two antibiotics may be suggestive of Lyme as well. Lyme is usually treated with a combo of antibiotics, especially if one is dealing with tick-borne co-infections, like Bartonella, as well. My daughter went thru a year 1/2 of antibiotics and 3 ivig's before finding lyme. It wasn't until a combo of antibiotics were prescribed that we begun seeing the most improvement in her symptoms.

I also would like to add that my daughter was plagued with numerous GI issues, including alomst daily complaints of stomach pains. When we first saw the LLMD he was pretty sure she was dealing with Bartonella because of the years of GI complaints. My daughter's tests prior to this appt. came up positive for lyme but negative for Bartonella. He ran some different tests and found Bartonella. Her GI issues went away with treatment! She is also taking a good dose of probiotics that we started prior to lyme treatment. This is just our experience -- I'm certainly not saying Lyme/co-infections is the cause of your son's problems.

Best Wishes!