ACN Latitudes Forums

rages, aggression, with strep.

My dd 11yrs, has in the past year, (pandas/pitand for 3yrs.) had increase rage, aggression, and mental status changes with positive strep. Where as before, it was increase in ocd's, tics, etc. I'm wondering if this is familiar with anyone else. She is never "normal" at any time, but the aggression is very severe with strep and a danger to her and others. Just a curious question, bc I know most have increase with tics, and ocd's usually with strep. Thanks.

Anger, raging, aggression was the initial presentation for my DS, then came the ocd w/in a few weeks. Tics started a yr later. We see flares of anger now when he is exposed to strep, but no more raging(knock on wood)since starting abx. He has not had a known case of strep since starting abx. We suspected he had strep back in early August. He had some behaviors and a fever for a day, plus stomach ache and headache but his rapid test and culture were negative, as were ASO and antiDNAse B. Within a few days, it faded away.

My daughter's main symptoms are aggression and rage followed by OCD, although both are better with this episode than they were with the first episode. The rages were very extreme and truly dangerous to herself and us. And she is only 3! With her first episode, the rages lasted 2-3 hours long and she had about 2 or 3 of them a day. We had to physically hold her down the entire time. With the current episode, the rages are only 5-15 minutes in length, although she has definitely increased in overall aggression. She has obviously been pulled out of preschool until the symptoms lessen dramatically. She is definitely responding to antibiotics!

Absolutely a symptom. We know my kids are sick, because they get "the look" (in their eyes,) walls get punched (or close to it now), One turns bright red, and starts to rage at us...since starting IVIG/PEX/abx he can now recognize change in symptoms faster, and storms off to his room to wait for it to pass. My arm was broken during one exacerbation (in case you are all wondering...I told ER that I was "messing around" with DS, and what position I was in, so it wouldn't look suspicious.) Too bad we have to do that, but the last thing I need is someone who doesn't know questioning the whole thing.

One thing we have continuously found, though, is that 1 - 2 T of peanutbutter or a small handful of peanuts will stop my DS's rages within minutes (it's full of tryptophan and fat...that's my theory.)

Oh, also, DS18, when sick, gets his "I don't give a *xxx*" attitude (and punches walls if we don't stay 100% away!)

My dd 11yrs, has in the past year, (pandas/pitand for 3yrs.) had increase rage, aggression, and mental status changes with positive strep. Where as before, it was increase in ocd's, tics, etc. I'm wondering if this is familiar with anyone else. She is never "normal" at any time, but the aggression is very severe with strep and a danger to her and others. Just a curious question, bc I know most have increase with tics, and ocd's usually with strep. Thanks.

Yes, our second d had OCD/ticcing episodes w/ strep exposure. These then morphed into severe ODD behaviors--so severe it was difficult to fathom she was the same child. The ODD did not show up until year 3 of the "episodes". IVIG helped tremendously. (Constant azithro too.)

Edited by T.Mom

Thankyou all, it helps so much, unfortunatley, that others are seeing the same thing I do, I'm still "questioning" pandas, I need to stop, we have been diagnoised by way to many experts for me to question it, I just need to hear others have the same problems. My heart goes out to you in thanks, and for dealing with the horrible aggression that is so dangerous to us all. God Bless you.