ACN Latitudes Forums

Lack of Inhibition as a symptom?

Has anyone else seen lack of inhibition as a symptom in their PANDAS kids? My DS, who has always been pretty reserved "on stage" when singing in school programs etc, gave QUITE the performance in the children's choir at church on Sunday. He did a wild dance through a whole song where all the other kids were standing with their hands nicely folded. Now, to his credit, it was a fast song with a great beat :) This was in front of about 300 people. Oh and by the way, dancing is not one of his talents, lol. On the way out of church he was asking people if they were impressed.....It was just bizarre and unlike him. I videoed it and showed my husband and he agreed that it was not "cute" it was really strange. It was funny though, and on day 23 of PANDAS, I needed a good laugh! It was either laugh or cry!

yes -- i say this is definitely a symptom. my ds was overinvolved with other people when we were at -- like at a store or restaurant. he also did a very annoying, wierd, 'hey lady' thing. he'd walk too close to people and reach out to touch their leg. most people thought it was funny -- this little 5yo who was so precocious. no -- it was wierd and unlike him. i can't really remember, but i believe it is listed somewhere as a symptom. sounds a little different from what you describe, but i definitely believe lack of inhibition is a symptom!

Yep, my DS is 5 so everyone thought it was very cute! Won't be that cute for long. I think I can easily and gently redirect it for the next performance, now that I know it is coming. It was so out of the blue. In the rehearsal he was fine. I want to be careful to keep him feeling good about himself but to curb the behaviors. He was so darn proud of himself, lol. He looked like a 5 year old Jim Carrey!! Maybe there is a future there!!

Is your child on any SSRI's? In PANDAS kids, some parents cite lack of inhibition as a side effect. Is your child on any allergy meds? If so, which one?

No, he is only on Augmentin (we are at 2 weeks of at least a month trial) and Curcumin as an anti inflammatory. His onset was this Sept 10, so we are still in the diagnostic process. He is much improved on the ABX tho!