ACN Latitudes Forums

PANDAS reaction to medications?

Allergy meds are tricky as with everything else with our kids...every kid reacts different.

Allergies may worsen PANDAS/PITAND symptoms.

Some allergy meds may help the allergy symptoms, but then the med itself eventually causes PANDAS/PITAND symptoms to increase.

Then you have the right allergy med. This will keep the allergies in check and you will see PANDAS symptoms hopefully improve as a result of that. You will not see a backslide after a couple weeks of use.

It can take some allergy meds 2 weeks to fully get into the system. So, even if your child does not negatively react to them at first, still be aware it may be the culprit, if you see inital improvement then worsening.

My child cannot take Claritin. At first it's fine but within 2 weeks, spiked the OCD and hyperactivity. My child can take Benadryl(does not make him tired) and can take natural supplements.

Edited by Vickie

Our DS has allergies and high histamine levels, so on some level, he busts Dr. T.'s theory, it seems.

He's been taking Zyrtec for many months to no ill effects; I can't see any increases/changes in his behaviors with it, but he definitely has problems without it. The runny nose, watery eyes and postnasal drip without the intervention increase his distractability and make him irritable. With the Zyrtec (plus Flonase), however, he's a happy, productive camper.

We even give another antihistamine (Benedryl) at night, as congestion tends to make it tough for him to fall asleep once he's prone without it.

Like Vickie says, there doesn't seem to be any sense of "one size fits all" with PANDAS. Unfortunately, we have to use trials (and hopefully only occassional error) to find what works best for our kids on an individual basis.