ACN Latitudes Forums

Augmentin and side effects with increased symptoms

Just 4 days into treating with Augmentin....not seeing a decrease but an increase in symptoms and in vocal tic! Could it be the ABX??? If yes, then what else do we ask for?

Can we give the motrin as a temporary relief while he is on the Augmentin? And should we finish the rx? Only could get a 14 day from Ped.

Hi Maggiesmoons. We are just new at all this but have been on Augmentin twice now. (First time for 3 week dose, this time we have scripts for longer). Dose is augmenting Duo 400/57 (with clav acid) 9ml morning and night for 3 weeks. My son is 30kg (66.13lb). [sorry about the metric - I live in Australia]

I can only tell you how my son age 7 reacts. Both times this is what I have noticed:

Day 1-3 happier but tics still present, day 5-7 increase in ADHD like behaviour and increase in tics (including verbal). From day 10 onwards, calmer, more focused, happier. Tics reduce to almost gone by time we've been on abx for 3 weeks. (We are on day 10 today...) I am not sure if this is usual but this is how my son reacts.

I am sure someone with a lot more experience and understanding can give you more information and details.

Good luck, I hope that you get answers to your post soon. :)

This increase in symptoms may be a herx reaction to the killing off of bacteria. I would keep at it and see how it goes.

Augmentin does not seem to do this to my DS but he once had a herx reaction to amoxicillan(prePANDAS)when he had an ear infection. He got really irritible and had some tantrums.

This increase in symptoms may be a herx reaction to the killing off of bacteria. I would keep at it and see how it goes.

Augmentin does not seem to do this to my DS but he once had a herx reaction to amoxicillan(prePANDAS)when he had an ear infection. He got really irritible and had some tantrums.

Thanks to everyone....guess we will keep trying and see what happens.....

Hi Maggiesmoons. We are just new at all this but have been on Augmentin twice now. (First time for 3 week dose, this time we have scripts for longer). Dose is augmenting Duo 400/57 (with clav acid) 9ml morning and night for 3 weeks. My son is 30kg (66.13lb). [sorry about the metric - I live in Australia]

I can only tell you how my son age 7 reacts. Both times this is what I have noticed:

Day 1-3 happier but tics still present, day 5-7 increase in ADHD like behaviour and increase in tics (including verbal). From day 10 onwards, calmer, more focused, happier. Tics reduce to almost gone by time we've been on abx for 3 weeks. (We are on day 10 today...) I am not sure if this is usual but this is how my son reacts.

I am sure someone with a lot more experience and understanding can give you more information and details.

Thank you...I guess from what I am being told we should continue the abx and see what happens....

Thank you...I guess from what I am being told we should continue the abx and see what happens....

You mentioned diarrhea in another post - are you also giving your son probiotics? This is important to keep his stomach's good bacteria working well. Give at least four hours apart from the antibiotic.

I have not tried probiotics.....would this help with the diarrhea? Calling the Ped in the morning to see if we should try that, or azithro instead. It is not good when he has had diarrhea after the 2nd dose and never let up! He eats and no more than 4-5 minutes it is going through him!This has been going on for 3 days and nothing is staying with him...Did not give the ABX today, and am waiting to see what ped says.

Edited by MaggiesMoons

I have not tried probiotics.....would this help with the diarrhea? Calling the Ped in the morning to see if we should try that, or azithro instead. It is not good when he has had diarrhea after the 2nd dose and never let up! He eats and no more than 4-5 minutes it is going through him!This has been going on for 3 days and nothing is staying with him...Did not give the ABX today, and am waiting to see what ped says.

We use Culturelle for Kids and haven't had any diarrhea troubles so far after weeks on Cephalexin and Clarithromycin. It's a powder that you can mix into food or drink (milk, juice, applesauce...). We find that milk works really well. It doesn't have a taste and if you mix it in gradually it will not clump up. Another that I have heard about people using is Florastor. I don't have as much experience with that one, but it also mixes in pretty easily (open up the capsule or use the kids' fruit flavored powder) and has a subtle yeasty smell similar to the way sourdough bread smells. And at HTsMom said, be sure to give the probiotic spaced far apart from when your child takes the abx.

For diarrhea, a particular strain of probiotic called sach boulardii (also known as s. boulardi or sach b.) is especially helpful. Plus, it's actually a "good yeast" that will help crowd out the bad yeast overgrowth (candida) that can come with abx usage, and it can be dosed simultaneously with abx. You can find it at health food stores, the Vitamin Shoppe and Whole Foods. Our DS has been taking one each day religiously while on long-term abx, and it's done wonders for him.

Florastor, a name brand probiotic you usually get from behind the pharmacists counter at drug stores, is 100% s. boulardii, also. It tends to be a little expensive (around $1/dose), but many people swear by it. We've had success with the less expensive Jarrow brand that we get from the Vitamin Shoppe.

Good luck!

We use Culturelle for Kids and haven't had any diarrhea troubles so far after weeks on Cephalexin and Clarithromycin. It's a powder that you can mix into food or drink (milk, juice, applesauce...). We find that milk works really well. It doesn't have a taste and if you mix it in gradually it will not clump up. Another that I have heard about people using is Florastor. I don't have as much experience with that one, but it also mixes in pretty easily (open up the capsule or use the kids' fruit flavored powder) and has a subtle yeasty smell similar to the way sourdough bread smells. And at HTsMom said, be sure to give the probiotic spaced far apart from when your child takes the abx.

What did your ped say? I had another thought for you concerning the diarrhea. If you haven't already, try giving him binding foods such as bananas and white rice. I myself have used rice water to end diarrhea I had from being on Zithromycin for strep. It helped. Instructions for making it are near the bottom of this web page: http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/diarrhea-000050.htm Good luck.

I highly recommend getting a probiotic started. One of DS's PANDAS docs recommended Florastor that Nancy mentioned. My DS has been taking Florastor 2x a day w/ his abx for a yr now. No diarrhea. No gut issues.

Thanks I really appreciate the help from the "forum family"!

Truly if it had not been fo rthis forum and the PANDAS NETWORK I would NEVER have discovered what was going on with my son...PANDAS.

This is an absolute, hands down, GODSEND! ♥

Thanks to you all I have caught it early!

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter's OCD got progressively worse, the longer she was on Augmentin. She improved tremendously when we discontinued it. I don't think it was a herx. It continued and worsened over a long period of time. We are unable to use abx for our kids' PANDAS.

MsMom

Forgot to answer the second part of the question--yes, we use Motrin all the time for some relief (but doesn't help much.)

I wish there were a simple answer like antibiotics or IVIG. We've done both, and both worsened the condition for us.

MsMom

Forgot to answer the second part of the question--yes, we use Motrin all the time for some relief (but doesn't help much.)

I wish there were a simple answer like antibiotics or IVIG. We've done both, and both worsened the condition for us.

MsMom

Have you tried any steroid treatments? If so, did your DD improve with that?

I think this is the first time I've seen somebody say that neither abx nor IVIG have helped at all. So you tried abx other than Augmentin? Does your DD have any other conditions that could further complicate the PANDAS or its treatment?