ACN Latitudes Forums

Increased Eosiniphil Count

My son's Eosiniphil count is 17 (range 0-10). His regular pediatrician is concerned that it is possibly an allergic reaction to the Rifampin 450mg my son is on (he is also on Azith 250mg). Before starting treatment for both Lyme and Bartonella his count was normal (5 weeks ago). His LLMD said its high but not alarming but to let him know if it continues to rise.

Has anyone had this type of experience with allergic reactions? If so, how was it handled? Finally we are beginning to see progress with his behaviors and I am concerned that we may need to go off.

Would love to hear any feedback. Thanks Andrea

Andrea,

So glad you are seeing progress!!!!!! It will be rocky but over time those improvements should stick. We have had high eosiniphil count in the past while on a single use antibiotic and it wasn't from rifampin. I would continue to follow for your Dr. but I do not 'think' it is anything to be too concerned about. Since we share the same Dr., I have a little perspective on how well he understands he adverse effects of antibiotics. We were taken off Rifampin when my older DS spiked really high fever and vomited during his Lyme herx cycle. It was just too much for him at the time.... his body didn't like it.

We were also taken off Biaxin when his eyes started to yellow and his liver enzymes climbed. BUT, some of those symptoms are from specific infection like Babesia and not specifically from the antibiotic.

Looking forward to hearing continued improvement. Wendy

• 2 weeks later...

Andrea,

So glad you are seeing progress!!!!!! It will be rocky but over time those improvements should stick. We have had high eosiniphil count in the past while on a single use antibiotic and it wasn't from rifampin. I would continue to follow for your Dr. but I do not 'think' it is anything to be too concerned about. Since we share the same Dr., I have a little perspective on how well he understands he adverse effects of antibiotics. We were taken off Rifampin when my older DS spiked really high fever and vomited during his Lyme herx cycle. It was just too much for him at the time.... his body didn't like it.

We were also taken off Biaxin when his eyes started to yellow and his liver enzymes climbed. BUT, some of those symptoms are from specific infection like Babesia and not specifically from the antibiotic.

Looking forward to hearing continued improvement. Wendy

Per our LLMD, I took my son off of Rifampin and now Azithro to check his eosiniphil count in 1 week (this will be 2nd week off of Rifampin). You mentioned that your son was taken off abx as well. How did he handle the removal/change of abx? Did his symptoms return? Andrea