ACN Latitudes Forums

Why do tics disappear at the doctor's office?

guy123

I have experienced it, and it seems like I've read a lot of stories where a child is ticcing and then they go to the doctor and the doctor is like "what tics?". This is why I've also seen it recommended to bring a video of your child ticcing (that was recorded at home) to show the doctor.

Does anyone know the reason why?

Edited by guy123

Hi Guy, I'm not quite sure why this is but I do have to say that if my son is comfortable with the dr. he is seeing, he allows himself to tic or can at least "show" the dr. what we mean. I think for him it is a defensive thing, if he doesn't trust, know or like the dr. he will fight the tics or be so distracted by the other things that are going on that he "forgets" about them until we are safely back in the vehicle. That's all I've got unless you just want to call it Murphy's law...

Megan

Are you sure it's comfort that causes it? When I would be hanging with my friends or family (in a relaxed, comfortable setting) I would do a hard blink tic every few seconds to a few times per minute. I'm usually pretty nervous when I go to the doctor, but mine tend to reduce by about 90% while I'm at the doctor.

Same thing at the dentist.

Or the eye doctor. I remember before I started taking Clonidine, my doctor sent me to the eye doctor to make sure my blinking tic wasn't actually an eye problem, and the eye doctor couldn't really see it. I had to record a video of myself doing it at home on my phone to bring in and show her. When she saw the vid, she was like "oh, yeah."

Edited by guy123

Hi Guy I think we may be misunderstanding each other. I think it is his discomfort or lack of trust that causes him to suppress his tics. I have seen him time and time again ticcing like crazy before an appt. but upon entering the office he seems to contain them until we leave, the same is true if we have company over that he is not really close to.

As far as our family dr. goes though: I was just pointing out that because he really trusts and likes this particular dr. we don't see the same disappearing tics as when he is seeing another less known dr.

Megan

• 4 weeks later...

This always happens to me too. I go see any type of doctor and in the waiting room, I tic, and the minute i see my doctor, my tics stop. I came to a conclusion that i am there with an agenda and is concentrating on the conversation I am having w/ the doc, therefore, i stop ticcing. the minute my mind wanders off to some anxious thought, i tic, but very quietly.