ACN Latitudes Forums

Helpful article about KPU

Thought some might be interested in this link. Interesting as it mentions "low histamine" in people with KPU as Dr. T thinks my son has low histamine. Hope I am remembering this right, but I think he said he saw the low histamine link in his adolescent-variant of PANDAS patients.

The symptoms are interesting too, as my son tested in the "extreme" high range for KPU and his only symptoms now are OCD and hypoglycemia. But as a baby he did have the "China doll" look (perfect skin; most perfect skin of my four children), "bloated belly," and "frequently gets hurt" symptoms. "Mr. Bump" would almost be the right way to describe him as a toddler. He was always falling down--again unlike his siblings. I attributed that, however, to the fact that he is my only boy.

Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.liliasahmeira.com/austism/kpu-and-autism.html

Thanks for the link - hadn't seen this particular one before. I had a reassuring thing happen today. A few months ago, we switched the kids abx scripts to Costco because they were much cheaper. Today, I went to the local pharmacy for my own script and the pharmacist asked how DS was doing (assuming since we hadn't been there lately that he was off meds). I told him we'd discovered a zinc issue and that now things were improving. I didn't use the term KPU and he'd never heard of mauve factor. But when I mentioned pyroles and how they bind to zinc, he knew exactly what I was talking about. I explained the kids had too many pyroles and he finished my sentence - "oh, so there's not enough bio-availability. But it doesn't show up as a zinc deficiency in the blood. Makes total sense."

Funny how a 2 minute conversation made me feel so validated and not crazy.

Thanks for the link - hadn't seen this particular one before. I had a reassuring thing happen today. A few months ago, we switched the kids abx scripts to Costco because they were much cheaper. Today, I went to the local pharmacy for my own script and the pharmacist asked how DS was doing (assuming since we hadn't been there lately that he was off meds). I told him we'd discovered a zinc issue and that now things were improving. I didn't use the term KPU and he'd never heard of mauve factor. But when I mentioned pyroles and how they bind to zinc, he knew exactly what I was talking about. I explained the kids had too many pyroles and he finished my sentence - "oh, so there's not enough bio-availability. But it doesn't show up as a zinc deficiency in the blood. Makes total sense."

Funny how a 2 minute conversation made me feel so validated and not crazy.

If it doesn't show up as a zinc deficiency, how is it tested?

It's a urine test. Looks for pyroles (or something associated with pyroles) in the urine. Zinc can show up as normal in a blood test but not be available to the immune system because it's bound to the pyroles (totally butchered this explanation but that's the gist). See the 7 min video link on the other thread for an accurate explanation.