ACN Latitudes Forums

sudden onset anorexia after puberty

KaraM

Hi,

The 17 year old daughter of someone I know is currently being hospitalized for anorexia and a heart issue (carditis??).

Anyway, the anorexia came on suddenly in the March timeframe. She was put in an inpatient program, improved over the summer, but was just hospitalized again.

I asked if they ever tested her for strep, but she didn't think so.

My question to the group is whether PANDAS AN can occur in teenagers after puberty? Anyone have any experience or references that I can point this mother to?

Thanks,

Kara

Thanks, everyone. I believe RF does cause heart issues....

Good news is that the doctor agreed to test this girl for both. I'm unsure what type/level of testing, but I mentioned to the mother that there are many different levels of testing for both and to consider the others if the first round comes back negative.

Kara

My 16-year-old son had PANDAS-induced anorexia and was almost hospitalized for it. He walked into Dr. T's office weighing 104 lbs. (he was 5' 6" and 15 at the time)--scared Dr. T. The PANDAS antibiotics quickly got the anorexia under control. Actually the steroid burst gave the most help as my son had two "really good" days which convinced him that he had PANDAS and helped him start fighting. We also began sitting with him at every meal and insisting that he eat. Also helps that steroids make you VERY hungry. My son has never had "regular" anorexia. He doesn't care a thing about his appearance. His anorexia was completely brought on by PANDAS OCD.