ACN Latitudes Forums

Preferred test for B12 and Magnesium Deficiency

I'm sure everyone probably already knows this, but I thought I would post because I didn't and thought it might help someone.

My son was tested for magnesium and B12 deficiencies and my son's naturopath feels that the wrong tests were ordered by the doctors (one was a lyme doctor, one a PANDAS doctor). According to his naturopath, the preferred test for magnesium deficiency is "magnesium, red blood cell," and the preferred test for B12 deficiency is "methyl malonic acid, serum." He feels that the regular tests for magnesium and B12 are not meaningful if the results come back normal as my son's did. I am going to have the tests rerun if I can.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure everyone probably already knows this, but I thought I would post because I didn't and thought it might help someone.

My son was tested for magnesium and B12 deficiencies and my son's naturopath feels that the wrong tests were ordered by the doctors (one was a lyme doctor, one a PANDAS doctor). According to his naturopath, the preferred test for magnesium deficiency is "magnesium, red blood cell," and the preferred test for B12 deficiency is "methyl malonic acid, serum." He feels that the regular tests for magnesium and B12 are not meaningful if the results come back normal as my son's did. I am going to have the tests rerun if I can.

Can these tests be done at Quest? Did you rerun the tests? thx

Can these tests be done at Quest? Did you rerun the tests? thx

I believe the test for magnesium, RBC at Quest would be this:

http://www.questdiagnostics.com/hcp/testmenu/jsp/showTestMenu.jsp?fn=623.html&labCode=QER

I couldn't find a test for the methylmalonic acid at Quest. Seems to be buried somewhere within this comprehensive panel, but I'm not sure:

http://www.questdiagnostics.com/hcp/intguide/jsp/showintguidepage.jsp?fn=TS_OrgAcFull.htm

Both tests are available through LabCorp.

I haven't had these test redone yet. Actually I forgot, as I have been focusing on my son's KPU results and treating that.

Edited by Christianmom