ACN Latitudes Forums

Augmentin XR -- Digestive Enzymes

I have read the posts concerning the problems with taking digestive enzymes if your child is on augmentin xr. So when my son was recently switched to augmentin xr, I stopped the enzymes. But he is complaining of stomach pain now (the reason I had him taking enzymes in the first place). Is there something else I can give him in place of the enzymes? He is already on immunoprobio, 2 capsules per day. Thank you.

Well, to be more specific, the only real issue I know of is with time-released medications/supplements and a particular enzyme called cellulase. If you can find a cellulase-free enzyme supplement, then I would think it's worth a try.

What kind of stomach pain is your son having? Gas? I'll just note that, for a while, we were trying to do a "high-dose" probiotic regimen, giving our DS lots and LOTS of units on a daily basis. Ultimately, we found that they created a lot of gas for him and he's been much more comfortable/balanced on a relatively "moderate" probiotic level; he's currently taking about 115 billion units daily.

Also, you might try bentonite clay. You can get it in a liquid solution that can be mixed with juice, or a capsule form. It seems to help sweep out the detritus in the gut that can be a by-product of both antibiotics and probiotic use, and I know that using it for a couple of nights every few weeks seems to help our DS when he starts complaining about any stomach concerns.

What kind of stomach pain is your son having? Gas? I'll just note that, for a while, we were trying to do a "high-dose" probiotic regimen, giving our DS lots and LOTS of units on a daily basis. Ultimately, we found that they created a lot of gas for him and he's been much more comfortable/balanced on a relatively "moderate" probiotic level; he's currently taking about 115 billion units daily.

Also, you might try bentonite clay. You can get it in a liquid solution that can be mixed with juice, or a capsule form. It seems to help sweep out the detritus in the gut that can be a by-product of both antibiotics and probiotic use, and I know that using it for a couple of nights every few weeks seems to help our DS when he starts complaining about any stomach concerns.

The problem isn't gas, more like he feels like he's going to throw up. Like his stomach isn't settled. He has had this problem a few times in the past which is why I started the enzymes. He was taking one enzyme with each meal ("super enzymes" by NOW) and that took care of the problem. But I will look into the bentonite clay. Thank you.

I spoke with my son's naturopath today and he suggested the following enzyme that does not contain cellulase--Biocore Enhanced Enzymes by Protocol for Life. Here's a link to the cheapest place I found to buy it. He suggested 1-2 capsules before each meal.

http://pureformulas.com/biocore-enhanced-enzymes-90-vcaps-by-protocol-for-life-balance.html

It sounds like you found an answer, but I just wanted to repost this link for everyone:

http://www.enzymestuff.com/dietsmeds.htm

It has a LOT of information on enzymes.

In case you want to try out different brands, Karen DeFelice mentions a couple of specific products:

"Last spring someone called saying her son was on time-release seizure meds and what type of broad-spectrum enzyme could she use. After looking around, I suggested Lypo from Enzymedica. Although intended as a product for higher fat diets, it just happens to have a blend of amylases, a blend of protease, a blend of lipases, and lactase...and no cellulase! This pretty much covers the main food groups. Add in Purify, Peptizyde or other strong protease with it for extra proteases (or in the case of Peptizyde, for any casein/gluten issue). It worked out quite well. Her son was 19 years old and showed good improvement. So that combination is a good workaround for someone where cellulase may be a problem."